Sunday, November 26, 2006

There Will Be No Sexy Vacation Pictures

So I’m on vacation for the next two weekends, which means I don’t have to go back to work until December 14th.
I don’t really have much in the way of plans as, per usual, I’m just burning off excess vacation time.
As I was on my way out the door from work yesterday (it was slow so our boss said one of us could leave early, so I did, as Scott left early last week), Scott told me to enjoy my time off and added, “And DO something!”
I probably won’t listen, though I do have plans to wander around downtown Leesburg on Friday night with Kathleen for what’s called “First Friday.” On the first Friday of every month the various downtown businesses stay open later than usual to allow people to browse through them.
That’ll probably be the extent of the excitement for my 22 days off from work.
Last night Kathleen called me to let me know that she and Brian were at the bar they usually hang out at and that there was a band and that I was invited to join them.
I thought about it, but I was pretty tired (I was falling asleep on the couch as I switched back and forth between Flip That House on TLC and some show about the animals that populated the earth before the rise of dinosaurs on the Discovery Channel…I know how to party!) and I’d already been settled in for the evening since I’d gotten home at 4:30, so there was no chance of me going anywhere.
My Thanksgiving was marked by a very long, very slow day at work, though I spent the second half of it feeling completely stuffed as management provided us with a very good Thanksgiving feast.
Scott’s wife Stacy stopped in with the girls to join us for the meal, as the feast was open to the families of employees and even to employees who weren’t working that day.
In fact, one lady from our department who works weekday overnights came in with her family. There were so many of them that my first thoughts were of the “Orphanarium” on Futurama.
I was tempted to take advantage of some of the crazy Black Friday deals on HDTVs on Friday morning, but ultimately decided that I couldn’t justify the expense right now.
The thing that made the Friday “black” for me was just how goddamn long it took for the day to be over. It was insane. At one point I was convinced that it had to be like 3:00 in the afternoon. It wasn’t even 10 AM!
Even watching Brian fail in his attempts to fly his remote control helicopter (which we could periodically hear him flying around in the room he works in that day and the next) around in the lobby could do little to make the day pick up the pace.
Having three days in which no upper management types would be around instead of just one meant that I had a lot of time to get caught up on my comic book reading, though the time still moved excruciatingly slowly, so getting to leave early yesterday was a real bonus.
If things had gone according to plan I would have had my condo development’s holiday party coming up next Sunday, but it turns out that when we planned for that date we did so without knowing that the clubhouse wouldn’t be available then, so we had to move it to the 8th.
Turns out also that I wasted my time making up a flier, as the management company for our homeowners’ association was taking care of that. Oh well.
I’m not even sure I’m going to go, but I suppose that I should, though if I weren’t on vacation I’d be totally unlikely to, as it’s on a Friday night.
In any case, I think I’m going to do some laundry and get some cleaning done today. I may be back with more later.

No comments: