Monday, September 10, 2007

Hello Darkness My Old Friend

Upon picking up my mail today I found that the last shipment of comics I'd ordered had arrived. Included in this order was the issue of Legion of Super-Heroes I needed to complete the multi-part classic Legion storyline known as The Great Darkness Saga:



Darkness ranks up there with other classic comic storylines of that era such as The Judas Contract in New Teen Titans and The Phoenix Saga in X-Men, and is definitely one of my all-time favorites.
I'm sure much of my fondness is based on nostalgia, but I'm equally sure that, as was the case with The Judas Contract, which I just recently re-read after more than 20 years, that I will find that there's a sound basis for that nostalgia.
Sure, there will be some elements that seem silly, and some dialogue that would never fly in a contemporary book, but that's only to be expected, and, in many ways, is part of the charm. I remain certain, however, that the underlying story, the art, and the action will hold up well.
Lots of Legion fans are thrilled by the recent announcement that legendary (and controversial) comics icon Jim Shooter will be returning to the Legion as the regular writer of the book's current incarnation.
Shooter's first run on the book happened in the 60s, when he was just a teenager. I've read a lot of those stories, and I have to say that, from an adult perspective, it's pretty obvious that it was being written by a kid, but it had been less obvious to then-editor Mort Weisinger who had no idea that it was a teenager that he was buying stories from.
(In fairness to Weisinger, most comics of the period read as though they were written by kids.)
Even so, I'm eager to see what an older (and presumably wiser) Shooter will do with a Legion that is very different from the one he last wrote three decades ago (he had a second run in the 70s).
That being said, for my money, no version of the Legion has (or likely ever will) been as good as the Levitz-Giffen era Legion, one that is best exemplified by The Great Darkness Saga.
(That's Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen.)
Anyway, that's my little moment of comic geekdom for today.

No comments: