Monday, November 27, 2006

Not That There's Anything WRONG With That...

After making my post about the Kirby Krackle Brush I came up with an idea for another shirt to put up for sale on Zazzle. Again, exactly one person reading this will understand the humor of it, but, again, I'm posting it anyway:



While creating the shirt I noticed that it's finally possible to have calendars made through Zazzle. It occurred to me that I'd like to have one made with some all-new art, and shortly afterwards an idea for a theme occurred to me, so I got to work on a new picture.
While I was sitting here in my room in the dark working on the picture I heard a knock on my door.
I was naturally suspicious, as I very seldom have anyone at my door other than Mormoms or Jehovah's Witnesses (or the homeless-looking guy who knocked on my door last week looking for someone named Richard), and in my unwashed, been sitting around all day without getting properly dressed state I was reluctant to answer.
Once I did so I was greeted by a tall, older British man who knew my name.
Turns out he was an investigator based out of DC working for Jon Betts' family.
The investigation into his appearance has pretty much come to a dead-end at this point. The fact that they have not recovered a body makes it seem a little more likely that he didn't actually kill himself, he simply walked away from his life.
At this point his family wants closure more than anything, and if they were to hear that he were alive, that would be enough for them; they wouldn't try to pressure him into returning.
I honestly don't know whether he did kill himself or not. As I've mentioned, it is something that he talked about, but it's almost as likely that he would simply walk away from his life rather than actually ending it.
In any case, I was more than happy to answer all of the guy's questions, though I just don't have any information that can shed any additional light on things.
While we were discussing things the topic turned to Betts' sexuality. No judgments were being made (by either of us), but naturally there was the potential for it to be related (the notion that perhaps he'd tested positive for HIV, for example, precipitating his taking of such a drastic step, had occurred to me before, and apparently had to his family as well).
He asked me about any people I knew whom he'd been involved with, then he asked what I suppose was an obvious and routine question: had I ever been involved with him.
I told him that I hadn't, and added, "Not that it matters, but I'm not a homosexual."
At that point it essentially turned into an episode of Seinfeld for a little bit.
Ultimately I promised that I would keep him apprised of any new information I receive and I asked that he let me know if they ever do find out anything one way or another.
One thing I learned was that, as he did for Amit, he'd prepared a message for me, which was sent out on a timer through an online greeting card sort of service. I never got it, so I think it may have actually ended up in my spam folder.
As they now have access to his computer, I'm going to request that it be sent to me, as apparently he'd written a letter, then personalized it for each person that he sent it to.
I actually had a dream the other night that I was back in Tucson in the call center and that Betts just showed up (in the dream, despite the fact that I was apparently in the past, the present circumstances still applied and he had been missing for over a month). I demanded that he tell me where he'd been, but he said, he didn't want to talk about it. I told him that was too goddamned bad that the he was bloody well going to talk about it.
I think it would be worth being stuck in that call center again if it meant that he would turn up okay.

1 comment:

Merlin T Wizard said...

Lo, there shall come a Krackle!

Nothing says cosmic power like a good Kirby Krackle.