Thursday, December 22, 2005

Shiny (Sex) Objects

There’s a picture that I actually meant to work on today, but unfortunately I seem to be easily distracted by shiny objects…especially shiny objects that aren’t wearing pants.
A little over two years ago, Britney Spears appeared on the cover of Esquire magazine wearing nothing more than a sweater, a pair of pumps, and a hairstyle that was an amazing feat of architectural engineering.
Given that I was at that time in my “Britney Period” in terms of who and what I spent my time drawing, that image, quite naturally, turned out to be one that I merrily recreated. (You can see it here.)
Since that time various other images from that photoshoot, featuring Britney in slightly different – and in some cases, slightly more revealing – poses have popped up on the Web.
Today I stumbled across this desktop wallpaper that someone had made by pasting together four different images from the photoshoot.
I decided that it would be interesting image for me to draw, possibly something I could get printed and hang on one of my new walls once this whole condo thing is sorted out, and so I got to work on drawing the other three images.
So far I’ve finished one of them and gotten a good start on another, so ideally I’ll be able to finish the whole thing early next week and get back to work on the other picture.
Of course, working on this picture of Britney reminds me of another unfinished multi-image picture of her that I’ve been neglecting for quite some time.
Inside the aforementioned issue of Esquire there are three full-page shots of Britney wearing nothing but her skivvies and a bunch of beads.
It’s been my intention to draw all three and put them together in much the same fashion that I’m now doing with the cover photo variants.
As with the cover image, I have actually completed one picture from the set.
In fact, it’s one of my best pictures of Britney, and one of my best pictures in general, as you can see for yourself:


Of course, it was a lot of work, and doing that much work two more times never really seemed that appealing, so I’ve never finished the project.
Today’s picture actually marks the first time in a long time that I’ve worked on a Britney picture.
For those of you who may be wondering why I’ve drawn so many pictures of Britney at all, the short answer is “because she’s there.”
Given that I hate her music I certainly don’t qualify as a “fan.”
Essentially I just like to draw attractive women, and with Britney there’s a wealth of source material to work from.
Personally I find Rachael Leigh Cook to be a much worthier subject, but there are far fewer pictures of her out there than there are of Britney Spears.
Of course, it’s been a while since I’ve drawn a picture of Britney because ever since she hooked up with that grungy guy she married there have been very few new images of her to work from. Once they started dating there weren’t very many new photoshoots, and any candid/paparazzi pictures of her included his ugly ass. Then, of course, she got knocked up.
Sure, I’ve got a tremendous backlog of existing pictures to work from, but with nothing new coming in, my interest sort of waned.
Until today, at least.
Besides working on the new/old picture, today has been pretty uneventful. I may or may not have had a meting to go to, but given that I showed up last week for nothing, with no official confirmation that I did have one, I didn’t bother making the trip.
No new progress on the condo front. Basically, the old debts are paid off and now I’m just waiting to get all of the confirmation of that to the finance guy and hopefully move from there.
And now my weekend has nearly come to a close.
I’m sure that work will be agonizingly slow, so I will no doubt have time to crank out some sort of holiday entry while I’m there.

No comments: