Sunday, December 25, 2005

More Random Christmas Ravings

When I was sleeping last night, rather than sugarplums it was visions of actress Julie Benz that I had dancing in my head.
I’m certainly not complaining, as she’s a much sweeter plum.
Still, it was incredibly random, particularly given the setting, which was in Tucson, where I was visiting my parents.
Evidently she had given up on the whole acting thing and taken to working in the office in the little retirement community my mom and dad stay in while in Tucson.
Why? I have no idea, but in the dream it seemed perfectly reasonable to encounter the woman who played the evil Darla on “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel.”
And since we were already defying the logic of the waking world, why not take it further and have the two of us really hit it off?
Things were going really well in that department until my mom walked in to find Julie, in an extremely short skirt, sitting on my lap while my hand was resting on her thigh.
My mom came over, moved my hand away, and swatted me on the head.
I was then woken up by what sounded like country music, as my alarm clock radio just seems to be randomly tuning in different stations.
Thus my Christmas didn’t get off to a great start.
When I stopped at the gas station on the way in to work (and by the way, all Christians should take this time to pause and reflect on how blessed they are that there are godless [or at least lacking the right god] heathens in the world who keep their businesses open on Christmas day).
I walked in and was immediately assaulted by Amy Grant singing about a “Christmas to Remember,” and I said, “Blow me, Amy Grant. That would make it a Christmas to remember.”
And then I arrived at work…where I’ve been for more than ten hours with more than two hours left.
In the spirit of the season I found a “Yule Log” visualization for Windows Media Player and put it running full-screen on one of the computers we’re not using.
After sitting here for hours with not much of anything to do it occurred to me that I could (and should) give my sister a call and find out what I bought the kids for Christmas.
(When I was actually around and involved in their lives it was easy to buy presents for them. Now I have no idea what they’re into, so it’s easier to just give my sister money and have her buy presents for them.)
They made use of a Web cam to allow my brother-in-law, who’s in Iraq, to share in the day, which is pretty cool.
I’m convinced that my nieces and nephews are mutants. They didn’t get up to open presents until 9:45! WTF? What kid manages to sleep past 6 am on Christmas morning?
It’s especially odd considering who their mother is.
Shortly after I got off the phone I partook of the free meal that we got for working today. It was passable. Can’t complain too much, as it was free.
And now we’re entering the home stretch, so I guess that will do it for this entry. I just wanted to share a few more random Christmas stories with you.

No comments: