Thursday, March 31, 2005

I Didn't Want To Spend The Money THAT Desperately...

It feels very strange to not be preparing to go to bed fairly soon.
Today was mostly uneventful, with the exception of going to the dentist.
I had a new permanent crown put in to replace the one that had fallen out, and I had a temporary crown put on another tooth.
While I was there I found out how I’m finally going to spend most of the money I’ve been saving.
Looks like I won’t be building my own computer anytime real soon…
I have to have several teeth pulled, get another crown, and have a partial plate made.
My insurance and Flex money will both run out long before that’s done.
Ah well, not-so-easy come, easy go, I guess…
He wants me to have all of the teeth pulled at once, so I have to schedule an appointment with an oral surgeon.
I hate having to call someone else to set up another appointment, so I'm inclined to procrastinate about that, but I’d kind of like to get the teeth pulled soon so that, hopefully, I can get the partial before I go home for Jourdan’s graduation.
I neglected to call when I got home today, though, as I was busy doing something slightly more interesting.
While I was at the dentist my cell phone did something it almost never does: it rang.
I couldn’t answer it, so I had to wait until I was done with the dentist and was waiting for his assistant to call to check something with my insurance before I could check my voice mail.
It was Tony, a guy I used to work with who recently quit to pursue a career in selling life insurance.
He had a question about image-editing. It seemed easy enough to answer at first, but then I realized what he was asking and decided that it would be easier if he just e-mailed me the image and had me do it for him.
Basically it involved taking a low-res, color jpeg and converting it to a high-res, black and white image.
You have to bear in mind that “Black and White” is entirely different from grayscale. The image would have no shades of gray and no anti-aliasing (basically the effect that smooths out jagged edges).
It’s not easy to make a black and white image that doesn’t look like crap, especially when you’re converting it from another format, so essentially what I ended up doing was totally recreating the image in black and white.
So that killed some time.
In the mail today I received my Smart Tag. I’ve been meaning to get one for over two years, but I had been reluctant to do so, as it involves having money automatically deducted from my account. I hate automatic deductions, as they can be kind of risky.
Over the weekend, though, I learned that if you don’t have the funds available, it just holds off on taking the money until you do have the funds, or else you just have to pay it the old-fashioned way, apparently.
So I ordered one. It’ll keep me from having to constantly save my quarters and dimes for paying the toll on my way to and from work.
And that’s pretty much been my day.
Tomorrow, of course, I’ll be off to see Sin City. I think the odds are that I will only see it once, as Friday will be my Thursday, meaning that I’ll have to call it a night fairly early. As there are some things that I need to get done before the weekend (things that I would have had to do today, under normal circumstances), I just don’t think I’ll have enough time to see it twice.
In any case, I think I’m going to get myself something to eat. As I don’t have to turn in early tonight, and I’m totally unfamiliar with Thursday night programming at this point, I doubt that I’ll be doing much TV watching, so I’m sure I’ll be back with more later.

No comments: