Thursday, June 30, 2011

Slacktivism

I’ve been a lurker and sometimes commenter at Fred “Slacktivist” Clark’s blog for close to four years now.
I don’t always agree with everything he says – How could I?  He self-identifies as an Evangelical Christian, after all – but whether I agree with him or not, his posts are always brilliant, funny, and thought-provoking.
He is, in my estimation, The Greatest Bogger of All Time.  The GBAT, you could say, and probably would say, if you were a regular there and familiar with his lengthy, thorough, and always entertaining evisceration of the World’s Worst Books™.
If I were a dozen times better at this whole blogging thing than I am I would still fall far short of Fred’s ability.
He is also, currently – and only briefly, I hope – among the ranks of the nation’s unemployed, as are many of the wonderful commenters who make up the Slacktivist community.
Fred’s got an idea to try to do something about that.  I think it’s a good one, and I’m throwing my meager Internet weight behind it and encouraging everyone to head over and pitch in.
After all, what’s the worst that could happen?  As far as I can tell, that would involve reading well-written, insightful, thought-provoking, and challenging blog entries, suffused with humor, nerd references, and genuine warmth. 
And you might even get drawn into the comments, where you can rub virtual elbows with a host of smart, funny, and all-around wonderful people.  People like, oh, I don’t know…me?

No comments: