Friday, October 28, 2011

Long Weekend

For no reason that I can determine, I woke up at around 2:30 this morning.
I stayed in bed for a while trying to get back to sleep before my bladder induced me to get up.  After attending to that, I got back into bed and spent some time lying in the dark before deciding to get up again and have a cigarette.
Once that was done, I did some meditation for about twenty minutes.
By that time it was around 3:30, which was only a half an hour earlier than I was planning to get up anyway, so I said, "Fuck it," got up, got dressed in my workout attire, and proceeded to engage in a workout that let me know in no uncertain terms that while I mostly feel okay, I'm still not 100% recovered from whatever illness struck me down on Monday.
Having an extra half hour to kill after finishing my exhausting workout, I sat down to watch the recorded episode of The Office before showering and getting on with my day.
While at work, my boss, in a post-staff meeting discussion, talked about some of her plans for our group, which included getting my co-worker promoted to the same level I just got promoted to, while providing some - frankly infuriating, though I won't get into that - details about the process of getting me promoted.
Her goal is for both of us to be Managers (my promotion will give me the title of "Manager," but I won't actually be managing anyone initially) and, eventually, have Analysts reporting to us.
My co-worker said, "I just want to manage projects.  Jon can manage the Analysts."
I said, "I just want to manage our internal processes."
The boss said, "You'll both shut the fuck up and do whatever I tell you to do."

****

As it was the Friday before Halloween, the office was going to be overrun by candy-seeking hordes of children at 2 PM.
Me:  By the way, I'm bailing before the kids show up.
Boss:  You and me both.

****

I decided to take Monday and Tuesday off, mostly just because, but in part because I want to stay up late on Monday and get a jump on National Novel Writing Month, and devote much of Tuesday to writing.
Because I'll be writing my latest novel, my updates here will either be even less frequent than they have been, or more frequent, in the form of excerpts from each day's writing.
Personally, I don't see any advantage to either option, so I'm not sure which one I'll opt for.

No comments: