Monday, September 17, 2007

Two Words: Dildo Factory

So far today has been incredibly uneventful. I got up, I sat around, I made breakfast, I sat around some more, took a shower, took out the garbage, and then sat around some more.
Tomorrow I have to get up early and meet with my insurance guy, then I have a meeting in the afternoon, and of course on Wednesday I close on the house, though I’m still not sure on when I’ll be able to move in.
Taking advantage of the over the air HDTV capabilities granted me by my new antenna, I watched Anchorman last night on the HD ABC station, which probably comes in the clearest of all the stations I get, which is to say, really, really clear. I’m really impressed by the clarity, though, unrelated to that, I have to wonder about the decisions that ABC made when editing the movie for broadcast.
If you haven’t seen the movie, the following spoilery bits won’t really mean much to you because they require context to be understood, but even so, they are spoilery, so consider yourself warned.
The first odd bit was cutting out the scene of Jack Black punting the dog off the bridge. We see him pick it up, hear a splash, and then see Jack walking away from the railing after the punting had been accomplished. Later, the direct reference to the dog having been punted is left in. So mentioning the punting is okay, but actually showing it wasn’t. Probably trying to avoid pissing off PETA.
Another odd bit is that they edit out the shot of Tim Robbins cutting off Luke Wilson’s arm, but they leave in the later scene in which a bear rips off his remaining arm.
And instead of just leaving the line in and muting the “fuck,” as in “Go .... yourself, San Diego,” they actually spliced in different dialogue and had Ron, awkwardly, say “You’re a dirty bitch, San Diego.”

Good (Un)Clean Blasphemous Fun Department:
One new show on Adult Swim that has yet to disappoint has been Lucy The Daughter of The Devil, a blasphemously hilarious show focusing on a rather ambivalent young Anti-Christ, her loving, and generally befuddled father, who just happens to be the Devil, her boyfriend, a DJ who just may be the Messiah, and the crack (or rather, cracked)Vatican black ops team out to kill her.
Last night’s episode featured one of the best parodies of the “Pure Imagination” scene from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory that I’ve seen in a long time. What made it so funny? Two words: dildo factory.
While the show would be funny enough on its own, what puts it over the top is the fact that the voice of the Devil is provided by none other than H. Jon Benjamin. It’s not a name you’re likely to know, but if you’ve ever watched an animated sit come within the last 12 years or so, you’ve probably heard him. He’s got a great voice and perfect delivery and comedic timing that ramp up the humor of pretty much any project he’s involved in; I honestly think he could read the phone book aloud and make it funnier than a good 80% of the comedy out there.
I’ll say no more, and simply link to the episode itself, but be warned, while it’s extremely funny, and sometimes strangely heartwarming, it’s also really, really offensive, even if you aren’t easily offended. But if you can get past that you’ll be in for a laugh. (My favorite scene: the Devil, tired of her constant suggestions for new dildo designs, sends Lucy an e-mail saying, simply, “Leave me alone.”)

No comments: