Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Closing Day

So today was the day; I am once again a home owner and I have the cramped wrist to prove it, what with the signing, and the initialing, and the carving into stone tablets and other low-tech activities that accompanying closing on a home purchase.
Of course, I won’t actually be able to take up residence until Sunday, but that just gives me time to find someone to actually do the moving for me.
And as a bonus I got a check for 4 days’ rent out of the former owner.
So that’s cool.
After the signing David, my realtor, walked me out (he had to stay behind for the closing on the house that the lady I bought my house from is buying; they were scheduled back-to-back), as he had some additional papers for me in his car. He wanted to know if I was pleased, as given that I’m not the type to “jump around with excitement,” it was rather hard for him to tell.
And of course, I am, though my excitement is dampened a little by the delay in moving.
He’s been reading some Threshold lately and I think he’s a bit concerned that I might write something mean about him, but he has no reason to fear; I have nothing but good things to say about him.
And even if I were going to write something mean, it wouldn’t be to denigrate his skills as a Realtor. No, I’d write something about how what a HUGE monster of a man he is and how whenever I see him I’m always a little surprised that there isn’t an angry mob of torch and pitchfork-wielding villagers chasing after him.
But I would never actually say anything like that.
(Seriously, though, the man is huge. But he’s also a great Realtor and an all-around good guy.)
After the signing I met up with Scott at the comic shop, and the we tried out one of the few remaining restaurants in the area that we haven’t eaten at yet, a place called Joe’s (as in “Eat At”). I wasn’t terribly hungry (I’d gotten some lunch after doing the final walk through at the house with David earlier in the day), so I opted for a salad (Chipotle Chicken), which was really good, as was the sample of Scott’s Mustard Crusted Chicken that I tried.
And now I’m home. As I took this weekend off, I won’t be going to bed ridiculously early (even though I should, as I’m tired), and I’m not sure what I’m going to do with my time off. I suppose I could do some shopping, picking up some necessities for the new place that can fit in (and stay in for the time being) my car.
I think I’m going to pick up a new desk, as this one is kind of trashed from having been taken apart to be moved here, and then having the hutch removed to accommodate the TV, and beyond that I’m sick of it anyway. I want to get a nice non-corner unit desk, maybe one of the kind that has a built-in USB hub.
And there’s enough nice weather left that it might be worth picking up some patio furniture. I think I’m going to hold off on buying a grill, though.
I also need to pick up a microwave, as the one here is built-in.
So there’s still a lot to do, but the biggest obstacle is out of the way at least.
Well, one of them, as there’s still the move itself.
Oh well, hopefully this will be the last one for a while.

No comments: