Sunday, March 18, 2007

Perchance To Dream

This past weekend was an especially irritating one at work.
As I’ve mentioned in the past, there are different stations on our desk that we take turns working . Thanks to the way things had rotated, Thursday was my day to work the busiest and most frustrating station.
Luckily it turned out to be a relatively easy day, though still more irritating than the other stations usually are.
Still, as Scott pointed out, I at least got it over with right away and didn’t have to have the thought of working that station hanging over me for the rest of the weekend.
Of course, that was before Scott was out sick on Saturday, the day he was supposed to work that station, and I had to fill in for him.
Saturday is usually the easiest day to work that station, though, as most of the issues that we deal with on that station are Monday through Friday sort of problems.
Not so this Saturday, which apparently felt it had to go out of its way to make up for my relatively easy Thursday.
Throughout it all I kept semi-jokingly repeating Dante’s whiny line from the movie Clerks: I’m not even supposed to be here today!
Oh well. At least it’s over now.
Until the next weekend.
But for the record, that’s how I spent my St. Patrick’s Day, though given that I’m not Irish and am no longer a practicing drunk it’s not as though I would have been out celebrating anyway.
Still, the stress of work and the fact that I hadn’t slept too well on Thursday and Friday night left me pretty tired when I got home, so I went to bed relatively early last night.
This, of course, only meant that I woke up incredibly early, so I didn’t actually get any more sleep than I would have if I’d gone to bed at the normal time.
Even though it was still dark out when I woke up I couldn’t manage to get back to sleep, so I got up and sat around doing pretty much nothing for about an hour before finally taking another crack at sleep.
When I did, I had semi-lucid dreams about having semi-lucid dreams.
It was very strange, and I have to wonder if dreaming about dreaming won’t tear a hole in the fabric of spacetime or something.
(I’m reminded of that episode of The Simpsons in which Homer is at work daydreaming, and we see that he’s daydreaming about napping, and that in his daydream about napping he’s dreaming about eating.)
In any case, I was dreaming that in my dreams I couldn’t quite control the action, but I could at least direct it to some extent, all of which led me to a room full of hot chicks who were very…friendly, which ultimately led to disappointment in the form of me waking up, both in the dream and in reality.
Or did I just wake up into another dream?
It’s hard to say; most of my dreams, like reality, tend to suck, so anything’s possible, I guess.
Once I did get up I eventually whiled away the hours by doing some more search engine submission. Talk about a dream come true!
At one of the submission sites I encountered this error:

Error
The url submitted belongs to the directory or is in process of acceptation

Yeah, it’s just like they tell you in rehab: acceptation is the answer to all of life’s problems.
Wait, I just realized that Word isn’t flagging that as an error. Acceptation is an actual word? WTF?
This isn’t a dream: it’s a nightmare!

No comments: