Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Slow News Day II

I didn’t write up any sort of entry yesterday, mostly due to laziness, but also due to the fact that I didn’t have anything meaningful or worthwhile to say about the day and my usual brand of meaningless nonsense didn’t seem appropriate.
Nothing’s stopping the meaningless nonsense today, though, and much of it describes events that would have been reported yesterday.
Anyway, I ended up being up fairly late on Sunday night for no apparent reason.  Sometime early yesterday morning I woke up sufficiently to become vaguely aware of the fact that it was cold and rainy outside, then went back to sleep until a bit after 9, and that was only because the chick upstairs had left earlier than usual, a fact which her dog was informing me of.
Once I got up and moving I eventually went out into the world to do my actual grocery shopping, then came home and sat around reading for much of the day.
Even though I’d slept a bit later than usual I was still tired as I’d still only gotten about 6 hours of sleep, so sometime in the afternoon I opted to take a nap.
Unfortunately, the chick upstairs had actually returned home a bit before than and had left again just as I was beginning to doze, sending the dog off into an extreme fit of barking, as it’s always worse when she comes home and then leaves again.
So, my plans thwarted, I got up and read some more, and basically kept reading until about 2 in the morning with a brief pause for The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.
I was reading the fifth book in the Harry Potter series and had stayed up so late not because I was so consumed by it but because I was convinced that it must almost be finished, though I was mistaken in that belief for several hours but decided to soldier on to the end anyway.
I’ve been reading the Potter books for a while now, and recently I’ve just decided to get reading the damn things over with.
It’s not that I’m not enjoying them at all – they’re okay – but the principle reason I’m reading them is that I’ve gotten enough shocked/dismayed/horrified comments of “You haven’t read the Harry Potter books?” from people that I’ve decided to just have done with it and that makes it feel rather like a chore.
In any case, by the time I finished the book I was exhausted from having stayed up so late again, but my exhaustion did little to help me get to sleep quickly.
Lately I’ve been doing the whole begin to drift off then snore really locked and wake myself up thing a lot and that pattern continued last night.
I didn’t manage to drift off until after 3, then woke up, for no apparent reason, at 4, and then finally managed to fall asleep properly.
I woke up a bit before 10 and decided to get up, as it had been my intention to try making stuffed French toast today.
I did so (it was only okay), then sat around and read for a while, then said, “Screw this; I’m going back to bed.”
After snoring myself back to consciousness a couple of times I was finally starting to drift off when my cell phone rang.
I was surprised to see that it was Brian, as he usually makes use of the Direct Connect feature rather than actually calling me, but then I remembered that his phone had been stolen and that he probably didn’t have my DC number on his new phone.
So I got up, showered, dressed, and headed over to Champions to meet Brian for lunch.
I was still a bit full from breakfast, so I just ordered a wrap.
My check came to a little over $8, which I paid with a $10 bill.  When she came back from ringing us up to give Brian his card back, she didn’t give me any change, presuming that I wanted her to keep the change.  It was true that I would have given her the change as a tip, but if she had brought it back to me I would have added some more money to it.
So her presumptuousness actually cost her a little.
Of course, she wasn’t really a great waitress anyway, and the larger tip would have been given solely based on the fact that she was kind of cute.
In any case with even less than usual happening in my life lately there’s obviously not much for me to write about, so I guess that will do it for this entry.

No comments: