Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Cockpits! Booby Traps!

In addition to seeing the latest X-Men movie today, I’ll be picking up season one of The Venture Bros. on DVD, which is something that I hope lots and lots of other people will do.
I’ve mentioned The Venture Bros. here many times before (new season starts soon!), but for those unfamiliar with this hilarious piece of filmed entertainment I’ll try to clue you in.
The show airs as part of the Adult Swim line of programming on Cartoon Network, which means that while it is a cartoon, it is decidedly not for children.
I think it can best be described as Jonny Quest meets the Hardy Boys meets Scooby-Doo meets the Fantastic Four meets a Times Square transsexual prostitute.
(Come to think of it, I believe that actually happened in one episode. The prostitute part, I mean.)
The show follows the lives of Dr. T.S. “Rusty” Venture, son of legendary super-scientist Dr. Jonas Venture, his fraternal twin sons Hank and Dean (the titular Bros.), and their bodyguard, super-agent Brock Samson (voiced to perfection by Patrick Warburton).
Along with their robot H.E.L.P.E.R., the Ventures and Brock jet around on adventures, foiling the evil schemes of arch-villains such as The Monarch and Baron Underbheit.
In theory, at least.
Mostly it focuses on what a depressing failure Dr. Venture is, especially in contrast to his father’s legacy of intellectual achievement, and how he manages to eke out an existence selling off what remains of that legacy, how out of touch with reality Hank and Dean are as they look for adventure around every corner, and the psycho-sexual nature of Brock’s homicidal impulses.
Somewhere in that mix it will make you laugh your ass off and say, “Oh my god, I can’t believe they did/said that!”
So go out and buy season one on DVD and watch for new episodes in June.
Okay, I’m done being a shill for now.
Woke up early this morning and, feeling energetic despite having gotten under seven hours of sleep, headed out for an early morning walk. I only put in about two miles, but it was something, anyway.
Now I’m going to get ready to head out into the world, as I’m going to do some shopping and get a haircut before meeting Scott and Stacy at the theater.

No comments: