Sunday, November 25, 2012

Proteiini Pannukakku

So I just tried a new recipe, a variation on the standard pannukakku, or "Finnish Pancake," that I often make.
This was inspired by a recipe for regular, non-Finn pancakes that I found and tried last week, with disastrous results, about which the less said the better.
Anyway, I call it Proteiini Pannukakku, or Protein Pancake, and it turned out much, much better than last week's experiment:

"Flappy!  Good news; I've decided not to kill you!"
The recipe is as follows:

3 Eggs
4 Tbsp sugar (or sugar substitute in my case)
2 Scoops protein powder (I used vanilla, but chocolate might be interesting...)
1 Cup prepared Quinoa
1/4 Tsp salt
2 Cups milk

Preheat oven to 400.  Place 1/4 Cup butter/margarine in a 9x13 pan, and put the pan in the heating oven to melt the butter.  Beat the mixture very well.  Once the butter is melted, pour the mixture in the pan and place back in oven for 15-20 minutes.

Most people like their pannukakku warm, but I prefer it after it's been refrigerated, as it manages to set up a little better and isn't so runny.  It's excellent topped with warmed fruit sauce/jam, like raspberry, blueberry, ligonberry, thimbleberry, etc.
The Quinoa gives it a bit of a gritty texture, which is a nice contrast to the lightness of the rest of the ingredients.
For a more traditional version, use 1 Cup of flour in place of the Quinoa, and subtract the protein powder, though of course you can leave that in if you want the benefit of extra protein...

UPDATE:  A while back I tried a further modification that turned out even better and also adds more protein to the mix.  Basically, rather than simply adding two scoops of protein powder, I just did a straight substitution of protein powder for the flour/Quinoa.  Try it.

No comments: