Tuesday, June 12, 2012

No Time Left To Waste…Because I Wasted It All

So I took today (as of this writing) and tomorrow off from work because…well, because.
It had been my intention to get the majority of my idleness and loafing out of the way over the weekend and use today and tomorrow to accomplish some things.
Unfortunately, there was some spillover.
I really don’t understand how time works, apparently, or rather, I don’t understand how it’s possible for me to waste so much time not actually doing anything, or why I can’t get the motivation to do anything other than sit idly wasting time.
I mean, you’d think that just by random chance that I’d actually end up doing something – even if by accident – in all the time that I spend just sitting around.  You’d think that.
But the nothing just eats away at everything, like a wall of antimatter consuming everything in its path, and the next thing you know, I have no more of my time left to either waste or put to use.
Of course, it’s not just the nothing that devours time with a voracious appetite; the something – provided it’s something I don’t particularly want to do – seems to swallow huge chunks of it without even pausing to chew.
Something and Nothing:  an efficient, time-devouring team.
Too be fair, I didn’t spend the whole weekend doing nothing, and there’s where something picked up the slack.
On Saturday evening I started working on an order for a Heroic Portrait, or rather, finishing a standing order that I’ve been working on for quite some time (there was no particular deadline or rush associated with it until recently).
Which is fine, as it was a good use of my time.  Where it became a problem was that it was taking way more time than it should have, which was exacerbated by the periodic breaks I took to feed some time to nothing.  So whereas I had hoped to finish it Saturday night – Sunday morning at the latest – I ended up not actually finishing it until this afternoon.
This meant that I ended up not getting any work done on any of the other pictures I wanted to work on over the weekend, and never got started on any of the other things I had hoped to accomplish prior to today.
Today was actually meant to be devoted to doing a bunch of work in the yard.
Unfortunately, by the time I got up, got showered and dressed, ventured out into the world to pick up the things I needed, and returned home, it was well after noon.  I had an appointment at 3.
That meant that I had very little time in which to do some amount of work in the yard, shower again to wash away the sweat and mulch, and head off for my appointment, so I ended up accomplishing maybe one-fifth of the total amount of work I’d intended.
Fittingly, in the course of writing this, something came along and ate my time, and now I don’t remember what else I was going to say.
Oh well – it probably would have been a waste of time anyway.

No comments: