Friday, June 22, 2012

License To Hurt

I was in a training class for most of the week at work – though because I still went in at my usual time, I had hours in which to get work done before class started each day, so I probably still managed to get more work done than many people who weren’t in training – learning all about Business Process Analysis.
More importantly, I was earning PDUs to apply towards maintaining my PMP certification.
In any case, on the second day of class, having deduced the pattern of breaks, after completing work on a group exercise, a co-worker and I decided to head out for a smoke break.
One of the people in my group, upon hearing that, turned to me and said, incredulously, “You still smoke?”
I nodded my assent, and she said, “I had no idea – I never smell it on you.”
”Well, I never smoke inside, so it doesn’t really cling to me.”
Someone else said, “But I’ve been on the elevator with people who just came in from smoking and I can smell it on them, but she’s right; I never smell it on you.”
I shrugged.  “Well, I try to do what I can to minimize the smell because when you smoke people think that gives them a license to hurt your feelings and that they can just freely tell you what a smelly, disgusting piece of garbage they think you are.”

****

Scott:  Have you ever counted the number of devices you have?  In this room alone you’ve got four display devices if you count your phone.
(Note:  No, I haven’t.  I have a lot.)

****

As I continue to slog my way through Showcase Presents:  Young Love Vol. 1, I find myself increasingly annoyed by my inability to identify the real person that Mary Robin, RN, was modeled on.  She’s very clearly based on an actress of the time (the early 1960s), and I can almost picture her, but no name is forthcoming.  I may have to scan an image and post it here for assistance in the identification, as I can’t find any images of her online that show Mary clearly enough for anyone to spot the resemblance.  (Sometimes she looks a little like Connie Hines from Mr. Ed, but that’s not who I’m thinking of.)
What’s also interesting is that there’s a story that features a girl who was very clearly modeled on Ann-Margret, and the primary plot of the story is how much our young heroine resembles a famous (fictional) movie star.

****

Oscar Mayer Cracked Black Pepper Turkey Breast has become my new favorite thing lately.

No comments: