Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Not Quite THAT In Love With It...

Over the weekend, inspired by seeing the movie last week with Scott, I picked up a volume reprinting the entire run of the old Marvel John Carter of Mars series.
Some of the issues feature pencils by the legendary Gil Kane, with inks by Ruby Nebres. It is - especially in the black and white format -  stunningly gorgeous work:

Love it.

Admittedly, it suffers a little from the shortcomings of the printing technology and paper stock of the 1970s, but even so, I have to say that I love it.
Now, I don't love it so much that I'd marry it. I mean, if we were talking about the beautiful results of a well-suited penciller and inker team that I would marry, we'd have to be talking about John Byrne and Terry Austin, or, if their art wouldn't have me, George Perez and Jerry Ordway.
But I have to say there's a good chance that I could, if I were in a relationship with pencil and ink art, be tempted to cheat with the art of Kane and Nebres...

No comments: