Friday, June 24, 2011

Speaking Of Commercials…

…I find myself kind of puzzled by some of the musical choices I’ve been encountering in commercials of late.

For example, Target has an ad campaign featuring the song “Pictures of Matchstick Men” by Status Quo.

It puzzles me, because the visual theme of the commercial is “It’s summertime, and you can get all the stuff you need to enjoy the summer at Target,” while the song itself has no thematic connection to summertime at all.  In fact, it’s a song about infatuation and obsession:

(I’ve always liked this bit:  “Windows echo your reflection, when I look in their direction, gone.  When will this haunting stop? Your face it just won’t leave me alone.”)

Far more puzzling to me, however, is the Jeep commercial featuring the Johnny Cash song “God Is Gonna Cut You Down.” (Embedding is disabled; sorry.)

So, umm, what are you trying to tell people, Jeep?  God will punish them if they don’t buy a Jeep?

Bonus:

While I really like the original, I also enjoy this cover of “Pictures of Matchstick Men” performed by Ozzy Osbourne and Type O Negative:

No comments: