Monday, February 23, 2009

The Occasional Idea

I suppose that it's possible that Heroic Portraits might be successful if I actually put any work into it. I'm not sure I believe that, but I'll grant that it's possible.
In any case, while there isn't often much follow-through, I do have the occasional idea for expanding its appeal, such as creating "stock" Portraits and selling them for less than the cost of regular Portraits.
The idea is that there's a ready-made image that gets customized by simply drawing the customer's face into the Portrait. I know I've talked about this before, and even requested some suggestions for stock Portraits.
Anyway, the other day I came up with an idea for a stock Portrait that's outside of the standard fantasy/science fiction/comic book genres, and actually took the time to draw it.
And here it is:



It's a rather iconic image (apart from the random background I dropped in), and I imagine there would be a fair number of women who would like to have themselves dropped in such a way - and probably even more men who would like to see this done with the women in their lives.
I don't know if there's a male equivalent image. Anything similar, I think, would just be straying into genres and presenting men as specific characters.
Anyway, I've had some ideas for other stock Portraits along these lines, including, for the more daring, one of the similarly iconic Playboy shots of MM.
Oh, and in case it isn't as obvious as I think it is, the point of the question mark over the face is to give the idea that anyone could be drawn into it, not to say, "Hey, guess who this is!"

3 comments:

Merlin T Wizard said...

Clay was actually asking me a question about your work that could give you another avenue as well. He asked if you could draw our DND characters in Frazetta style. I mentioned that while I hadn't seen you do anything to closely mimic Frazetta, et. al., you are very good, so I could imagine you doing it. Offering an option to do pieces in different artists' styles might be another way of expanding Heroic Portraits' appeal.

As for the MM route, I think it's a great idea. Not sure of an equivalent for guys. One thing you could do, and I know this is straying into "specific characters" territory, is make blanks of famous movie posters. The action/adventure blockbusters would probably appeal to guys that aren't into fantasy/comics/sci-fi portraits.

Jon Maki said...

I could probably manage something vaguely Frazetta-ish, though I'd probably do a better job of aping Royo or Vallejo. Just so long as I don't have to draw Clay in some kind of tiny G-string with his butt sticking out.
I do mention somewhere in the text of the site that I can mimic various artistic styles, but I suppose I should take the anti-LaHaye and Jenkins approach and show rather than tell.

Merlin T Wizard said...

Thanks for that mental image.

I think any time you can do the opposite of LaJenkins, you can call it a job worth doing.