Monday, July 28, 2008

Time Doesn't Care How Much Fun You're Having

I don’t think I could have been more pissed off about the fact that a. it was morning and b. it was Monday when my alarm went off today.
Last night and sleeping well…not so much.
At least there wasn’t a lot going on at work.
The big “excitement” was the phone training.
We’re switching to a new phone system in the next couple of weeks. The new phones have actually been hooked up next to our old phones for months, but they can only be used to make calls inside the building, so I haven’t bothered with using mine.
In any case, there was someone giving training sessions on the new phones all day today (and all day tomorrow), every hour on the hour. I went to one at 11, as I figured it was a good way to burn 45 minutes of the hour left until lunch time.
There will be training sessions all day tomorrow, too.
I just can’t get over how rapidly time flies once I get home from work.
I got home around 4:30 and sat down to watch last night’s Venture Bros.
For weeks my DVR wasn’t recording it, and I assumed that the show was on hiatus, but then I saw a new episode online and found out that I’d missed three episodes. I set it up to record again the other day, and this time around it did it.
After watching the show, I was amazed to discover that suddenly it was 8:00. How the hell did that happen?
I was going to watch The Closer at 9, whittling away yet another available hour of my remaining period of wakefulness, but decided to let it record and to watch it either at 10, or tomorrow, but I went downstairs a few minutes ago and found that, to my horror, it wasn’t recording.
I set it to catch the midnight repeat, so I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it will actually record and will be waiting to eat into my time tomorrow night.
It’s not like I’m having fun, so why is time insisting on flying every worknight?
It wouldn’t be so bad if I could get by on minimal amounts of sleep, but I just don’t seem to be able to function on anything less than 7 hours. Stupid aging process.
Of course, it’s not like I was all that resilient when I was younger, but at least it never seemed like my available time was flying out the window.
(By the way, the fact that I’m likely to squander any time I do have is beside the point.)
Anyway, not much is going on, as it’s proving to be a rather typical Monday.

No comments: