Sunday, December 09, 2007

If Only New Episodes Of The Closer Were Closer

Barring any last-minute reprieve before I make the drive to Tyson’s Corner tomorrow morning, it looks as though I’ll definitely be accepting the job I don’t want. I’m still hopeful that I’ll get a call about the job I do want and will be able to say “Sorry, but I’m out of here” and bail on the job I don’t want.
Even though I’ve been bored shitless and haven’t done anything productive with my time, I have to say that the prospect of bringing my two month “vacation” to an end is sort of bothersome, and even though I’ve been concerned about how I’ll manage to pay bills and that sort of thing, I’d hoped that I’d be able to extend it at least a little longer.
Oh well.
On Tuesday I go to the eye doctor to get my first pair of Gentle Molding lenses. I guess I have to sit there with them in – and my eyes closed – for an hour to try them out. Should be a blast.
I’m eager to see how well they’ll work, as it will be an incredible change to be able to see clearly without wearing glasses or contacts.

Giving Us A Taste Department:
If you were to take Batman and strip him of his tragic origin, the whole “bat” motif, his incredible wealth, all of his gadgets, his fighting skills, and transform him into a dainty southern belle, you would have one of two things.
One of them would be the central concept for some surreal Grant Morrison comic that, while interesting and cool as hell, would make absolutely no sense whatsoever for the first seven or so issues before finally pulling together in such a way that you say, “Oh, I get it!” and which you would really enjoy, but afterwards you would find yourself wondering if you really did get it and appreciate it fully because you’re just not smart enough/taking the right drugs to be able to appreciate Morrison’s genius properly.
The alternative result of this speculative paring down of Batman is the character of Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson (Kyra Sedgwick) of TNT’s original series The Closer.
Last Monday, as has apparently become an annual tradition, TNT gave Closer fans like me (and my mom) a Christmas present in the form of a special two-hour episode. The episode was awesome, as all of them are, and was much-appreciated, given that the it’s been months since we last had a new episode.
The downside is that it will be months and months before we get to see another, as new episodes only run in the summer.
I can appreciate that the producers take a quality over quantity approach, but I still think it would be cool if they peppered the year with a couple more special episodes.

No comments: