Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Giftastrophes: Gift-Related Catastrophes

I almost never eat at my dining room table, choosing to take most of my meals at my coffee table while I watch TV. After all, it’s not as though I’ll be having scintillating dinner conversations with anyone.
So the only real use my table gets is as a sort of catch-all for junk mail and various other sundries, which sit there cluttering things up until Sunday rolls around and I haul the garbage out to the curb.
Which is why, when I’d noted that the gift I’d gotten for Kathleen – a spa gift card – was on the table with all of the junk, I picked it up and decided that I needed to put it somewhere so that it wouldn’t get tossed out along with the junk mail.
I distinctly recall picking it up and thinking that. I do not, however, recall actually following through on the thought.
If I did, I have no idea where I put it, and though I searched everywhere before Kathleen came over, I couldn’t find it, which leads me to conclude that my fears for its fate came to pass.
This is bothersome because a) I didn’t have a gift to give Kathleen (who took the news in stride and got a laugh over my incompetence) and b) I essentially just opened my wallet, took some money out, and tossed it into the garbage.
So that was the first giftastrophe of the evening.
The second came when I brought out my Black Canary statuette to show her, and, in the course of an animated conversation, an inadvertent swipe of Kathleen’s hand broke three fingers off of Black Canary’s.
I guess it evens out: I threw away her gift and she broke one of mine.
(My gift from Kathleen was one of the sets of Marvel super hero stamps, which she matted and framed. I’ll post a picture tomorrow.)

2 comments:

Merlin T Wizard said...

Inadvertent? I think not! She's just jealous that the gift we got you is more boobtastic than the one she got you. I see how it is.

Jon Maki said...

To be fair, I did throw her present away (apparently). And if the Spider-Woman stamp had been done by Cho, there would have been boobtastic parity.