Wednesday, August 15, 2012

To Everything, Churn, Churn, Churn…

So there’s been something of a regular – inasmuch as anything here can be considered “regular” – feature on this blog that, sadly, you won’t be likely to see after next week.
That would be the “Conversations” posts that contain this:
Boss:  [Some comment]
Me:  [Sarcastic response]
The reason for that is that last Friday the boss put in her two weeks’ notice, so the boss will no longer be the boss, and thus will no longer be available to participate in blog-worthy conversations.
I’m not particularly pleased about that.

Okay, that’s a lie – I am particularly pleased that she’s moving on to bigger and better things, but, more selfishly, I’m…well, it’s a complex panoply of emotions that I will refer to as depissed.
(Depressed + Pissed).
She’s been a great boss for over two years, she was a great co-worker before that, and she’s been a good friend, and a huge supporter of Heroic Portraits.
(Note:  Total aside, but Windows Live Writer apparently has the ability to learn, as it automatically turned Heroic Portraits into a hyperlink after I typed it.  That’s awesome.)
Since she told me, my stomach has steadily been churning away as I face the prospect of bosslessness.
Not that you’d be likely to notice, of course, but, as I told the boss, she knows me well enough to know that just because I don’t look upset – though there are, of course, telltale signs for the observant – that doesn’t mean that I don’t feel upset.
Or as I put it, “You know how it is.  Jon and expressiveness don’t exactly go together like chocolate and peanut butter.”
So what does her departure mean for my future?  I’m not entirely sure yet.  The not-at-all official plan is for me to take over and become the boss, though, again, that’s not official, and I don’t know when it will be official (or, for that matter, won’t be official).
(The boss seems more convinced; this morning she handed over her “You’re an essential piece of the puzzle” spot recognition coupon thingies and said, “You’re going to have to have these.”)
So if I become the boss, that definitely means that there won’t be any Me/Boss exchanges, as those would just be the existing Me/Also Me exchanges.
Sure, I’d still have a boss, in the form of my VP, but while he’s a nice enough guy, I just don’t foresee our conversations being all that entertaining.
Of course, the prospect of potentially becoming the boss – and having to do so without the benefit of having a me to rely on in the way that the soon-to-no-longer-be boss did – also adds to the churn, as does the prospect of not becoming the boss…
Anyway, here’s one last exchange:
Boss:  Packed up the office today.  It’s all done.
Me:  LOL
Me:  Are you even coming back at all?
Boss:  Yes of course.  Just wanted that out of the way.
Me:  That thought made my stomach churn, btw.
Boss:  Awwww.
Boss:  Don’t do that yet.
Too late.
There is a season, churn, churn, churn…
Bonus Last Exchange:
Boss:  We should drink every time they say parking lot!!!
Me:  Get the booze from the margarita maker.
Boss:  LOL
Me:  Of course, if I still drank, you wouldn’t want to square off against me.
Me:  I was a professional.
Boss:  LOL.  You don’t do anything half way.

No comments: