Saturday, March 03, 2012

A Painful Truth

Just as I said I would, I stopped at the comic shop on Wednesday on my way home from work to pick up my comics and join in their Superman’s Birthday/Leap Year/15th Anniversary Celebration.

This primarily involved going in, being handed my comics – the cute girl who works there always spots me well before I get into the place and has my comics at the ready – wandering around for a while to see if there was anything else I wanted to buy, being offered and accepting a (small) piece of cake, paying for my comics, and leaving.

So, yeah.

Of course, the end result of that was the disruption of my usual Saturday morning routine.  Still, I had stuff to do, so I ventured out a little further into the world than usual, and then stopped to pick up lunch from Five Guys on my way back home.

When I got home, I found, to my annoyance, that someone had parked in my space.  Swearing, I turned around and headed to the parking lot, squeezed into a space, got all of my bags and my lunch out of the car, and started walking to my house, only to be more annoyed at the sight of the person who had taken my space leaving.

It’s a bit of a paradox to find having my space opened up to be more annoying than finding it taken, but by that time I’d already gone through the trouble of parking somewhere else and starting the trek home.

****

As I’ve ventured out into the world in recent weeks, I’ve begun to realize that there is a painful truth that I can’t avoid much longer:  I need to go to Ikea.

I’ve really wanted to avoid that necessity.  Not because I have anything against Ikea.  The Ikea part isn’t the problem.  The going there part is the problem.

The nearest Ikea isn’t terribly far away, but its location is such that, due to traffic, just getting there and back will be nearly an all-day affair.  Certainly it’s not something I’m going to attempt on a weekend, so it’ll have to wait until I’ve taken a day off from work.

Still, it needs to be done at some point, as I desperately need a new desk for my office, and have been unable to find anything close to suitable at any of the more conveniently located stores I’ve been to lately.

Even so, it’s a painful truth to have to accept.

No comments: