Friday, December 17, 2010

It's Good To Have A Plan

For the first three days of this week I was in a training class for ITIL V3 Foundation certification.
We did sort of intensive training for two days, followed by some review on the third, culminating in actually taking the certification exam.
Foundation certification is just the start of a process that leads up to becoming an ITIL Expert, after passing several more certifications.
Given that following the ITIL model is an initiative being undertaken by my Director - who was in the class as well - I figured that this would be something worthwhile to pursue. At the very least it looks good on a resume...not that I have any plans to do any job-hunting anytime soon.
In any case, before training on the second day, I had the following conversation with my friend Dan:

Me: So I figure that if I pass this I'll probably start working on getting the other certifications to become an expert. And at the same time, somewhere along the line, I'll start working on getting my PMP certification.
Me: ...and then I'll blow my brains out, because this is totally not what I want to do with my life.

Having a plan for your life is a good thing, right?
Relax; I wasn't serious about the blowing my brains out part, and I shouldn't joke about it, but seriously...I don't want to do this.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with any alternatives as to what I actually do want to do, and so here I am.
Stupid existential crisis.
Oh, and for the record, I passed the certification.

No comments: