Sunday, April 11, 2010

I Know, I Know…

Why yes, I do remember that I have a blog.

So why haven’t I been posting anything to it? Well, I should think that if a poor memory isn’t the explanation, that would be easy to figure out: sheer laziness.

Besides, not that much has been going on anyway. Same old, same old. Work, inject insulin, sleep, work, inject insulin…

My sugar levels have been pretty good for a while now, though I attribute that almost entirely to the insulin, because most of the time it doesn’t seem like the diet and exercise thing is having much of an impact.

On the other hand, I have lost about 20 pounds since this whole thing started. It’s a noticeable difference, and I look a lot slimmer. Until I sit down, at which point my stomach juts out like I’m six months pregnant.

Still, I am getting some comments from people who have noticed the weight loss, so I guess that’s good.

I know that, on the rare occasions on which I post, I keep making a reference to launching a new regular feature, but so far it hasn’t materialized. It will, it’s just something that’s going to involve a fair amount of pain, so I need to mentally prepare myself before diving in.

A while back I finally got around to reading Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, which is exactly how it sounds: it’s Pride & Prejudice…with zombies.

It was entertaining enough – up next is Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters – but I kind of found myself confused on a couple of points regarding the book.

First off is the introduction in which the author – no, not Jane Austen, the guy who added in all of the zombie stuff – talks about his immediate thought when the idea was pitched to him. Basically his mind immediately conjured up images of Regency-era Englishwomen fighting zombies in the style of Kung Fu movies.

Really? That’s where your mind immediately went? Because while those aspects were entertaining, I wouldn’t have automatically connected Kung Fu to zombies.

The other thing, and this goes beyond just the book, is the widespread nerd enthusiasm for the concept, and the current zombie obsession that’s so prevalent among nerds. When did zombies become such an essential aspect of nerdom? Is it because of video games? Whatever the case, I hadn’t previously realized that my bespectacled brethren were so enamored with the undead, and would have never predicted the relatively recent explosion of shambling, flesh and brain-munching corpses in popular culture.

I guess I just didn’t have my thumb on the pulse of nerdom, though honestly, who can blame me? I mean, who wants to touch a nerd? They’re all unwashed and sticky and covered in Cheeto dust.

My birthday is coming up on Tuesday. Whoop-de-freakin’- do.

However, it did give an excuse to take the day off (as well as the day before), so there’s that much going for it anyway.

In any case, I just thought I should post something. This time around I’m not going to bother promising to try to post more regularly.

No comments: