Monday, August 10, 2009

That Was 20 Years Ago?

First of all, happy birthday to my nephew Jeremy, who's 20 today.
...
20.
Holy crap.
Last night I was lying in bed failing to fall asleep because I'd made the mistake of taking a nap during the day, and I had a particular performance of the song Circles by Joe Satriani playing in my head.



The version in my head was recorded live, and it starts out with him kind of dicking around on the guitar, doing some improvizational stuff built around the opening strains of the song and tossing in some bits from other songs. I kind of like the improv bit, and I also like the song, and I also like the uncertainty of the audience as he's up there playing something they've never heard before, which is then replaced by cheering when he actually starts playing the song and they recognize it.
So, lying there, I thought, "Why am I just listening to this in my head when my iPod is right there?"
So I put the song playing, and it got me to thinking about the album that the studio version of the song is on, and I realized that I bought that album - Surfing with the Alien - in 1989. Then I realized that 1989 was 20 years ago.
And now my nephew - born some months after I bought that album - is also 20.
*Sigh*
It had been my intention to mow the lawn yesterday, but as it was about a thousand degrees outside that didn't happen. Nor did it happen today, as it was a thousand and one degrees outside.
(I may be exaggerating a little, but damn it was hot.)
And beyond that not much else is going on. I'm being haunted by the ghosts of creative ideas past and trying - mostly in vain - to placate them, which mostly involves unproductive drawing.
Posts will be even fewer and farther between over the next week and a half or so, since, as mentioned, I'll be heading to Michigan later this week.
I'm sure you'll manage.

1 comment:

lbugsh2 said...

I hope you are having fun.