Thursday, April 09, 2009

Random Sampling

I know I've been pretty light on posts of late, and that's not likely to change for the next day or so, but in the meantime I figured I should post something.
My brain, as I've often mentioned, is a strange place. Lots of weird things going on in there.
What I find most fascinating - and often irritating - are the random things that just seem to pop up.
Some are easy to understand, like random scenes/quotes from TV shows like The Simpsons, The Venture Bros., or Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
The "earworms" - songs that get stuck in my head - are also kind of understandable, in theory, at least. In practice they're usually baffling - and irritating - because the songs that pop up are so utterly random and so far from my conscious mind, and so unlikely to be anything I'd want stuck in my head.
I get a lot of songs that I haven't actually heard in decades, and that I generally didn't like in the first place, stuck in there. Lionel Richie is a repeat offender, and usually it's not one of the more obvious songs, like, say, Hello, or Dancing on the Ceiling, but something like Stuck on You. The hell?
Old TV show theme songs also get a lot of brainplay.
But the truly puzzling things are the random names/words that just pop up, completely appropos of nothing. No context. No apparent connection to anything.
Here are some recent examples:

Glastonbury Tor
The New York Dolls
Fran Tarkenton
Mimosa
Geraldine (the Flip Wilson character)
Desultory
Candida Royalle
Caravaggio
Bodhisattva
Geritol
Deja Thoris
Clytemnestra
Ascot
Hermeneutics
Blastocyst

For some reason I find "Fran Tarkenton" to be the most puzzling, most likely due to my lack of interest in sports.
Anyway, maybe you can use this list to do some random Googling/Wikipedia searches to pass the time in between my sporadic posts, but note that "Candida Royalle" probably isn't the most work-safe search term.

No comments: