Sunday, January 11, 2009

Looking For Heroic Suggestions

The other day my friend Jamie e-mailed me to let me know that the design of the site for Heroic Portraits totally sucks ass and that I should be ashamed of myself for putting up such a shoddy piece of crap and that in Web site design, as in life, I’m a complete and utter failure.
Okay, she didn’t put it exactly like that, and maybe I’m projecting my own feelings just a little, but the upshot of it all is that she offered to redesign the site for me.
So that’s cool, and I’ll definitely be taking her up on her offer, but there are few decisions I need to make about what content and features I want the site to have.
Among the many ideas that I’ve had for the site that I haven’t actually done anything about is the notion of having sort of “stock” Portraits: ready-made templates that I can simply plug (a drawing of) a customer’s face into rather than having to start completely from scratch.
I figure I can sell them at a lower price and that they might generate some business, as people can come along and just pick something rather than having to come up with an idea for a Portrait.
So I was kind of working on that this weekend. The results were less than stellar and will not be posted here or anywhere.
Part of the problem is a failure of imagination on my part (the rest is a failure of talent). There are only so many ideas I can come up with for stock Portraits, as, quite honestly, I have no idea what sort of things other people are into.
I mean, there are the obvious choices: super-heroes/villains, barbarian warriors, cyborgs, sorcerers/wizards/witches/sorceresses, pirates, Jedi and Sith-esque characters, assorted monsters...
Beyond those options, I can’t think of what else would people be interested in being portrayed as.
Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Merlin T Wizard said...

You may want to try for some real life heroic stuff. It sounds cheesy, but how many kids say they want to be astronauts or firefighters? It may appeal to those less interested in the fantastic.