Sunday, December 28, 2008

That's The Spirit

I have to say that I'm pretty damned pleased with how this picture of Scarlett Johansson turned out:



For the record, this is Scarlett as Silken Floss in The Spirit.
There was a scene in the movie in which, wearing this outfit, she spends a considerable amount of time leaning forward, making it virtually impossible to focus on whatever the hell else was going on at the time, and making me marvel at the structural integrity of the bra and its ability to withstand enormous stress.
In any case, a lot of the preemptive hatred for the movie revolved around Scarlett's character. In the comics, Silken Floss - I told you that most of the female characters had goofy names - is a nuclear physicist and an accomplished surgeon, but based on the trailers it seemed that she had been relegated, essentially, to the role of secretary.
That's not actually the case in the movie, as she's considerably more than a mere secretary, and as The Octopus goes on at length about his own ingeniuty and his remarkable breakthroughs in the field of genetics, Ms. Floss gives him a lot of significant looks that pretty clearly indicate that he's not giving credit where credit is actually due. (Okay, so she wasn't a nuclear physicist, but she was still brilliant.)
Personally, I would have preferred that Scarlett's character be much more like Candyfloss (Go on, check the link; there's pretty much no chance that you have any idea what I'm talking about.)
I started on the picture yesterday afternoon, but couldn't really build up enough motivation to actually work on it, and kept finding other things to do, until I finally started working on it in earnest late in the evening. By the time I started building up some serious momentum I noticed that it was after 2 AM.
After getting derailed by the need to sleep, I finally got back to work on it sometime this afternoon.
Anyway, beyond doing the laundry and watching some TV, working on the picture is pretty much what I did all day.

1 comment:

Merlin T Wizard said...

Johansson, along with many of the other characters, had some fantastic lines. Her costumes, especially that one, put her over the top, so to speak. Given a few more scenes, she could have easily stolen the whole movie.