Monday, December 08, 2008

Not A Great Year

My sister Kim hasn't been having a great year. Her husband Dean was in two motorcycle accidents spaced very closely together, and so far he hasn't been able to get back to work, so money has been tight.
To make matters worse, today she got in an accident herself (along with my mom, who was riding with her). No serious injuries are apparent, but there was considerable damage to the car.
Basically, some girl driving alongside of them decided to make an ill-considered last-second turn and plowed into them.
So yeah, not a great year.
As for me, it's mostly same-old, same-old. I got home and found that there was a message from my eye doctor's office to confirm my appointment for tomorrow. After listening to the message asking me to call back, I realized that I'd deleted the number from the Caller ID, and, having not realized that initially, deleted the message without writing down the number. I thought I had the number saved in my Contacts on my cell phone, but no. So I figured that I had one of the appointment cards lying around. Nope.
So I went upstairs to grab my other handset, which would still have the number in the Caller ID log. Naturally the handset had decided to take that opportunity to unregister from the base station, so I had to take the battery out, put it back in, set it back down in the base station, turn it back on, wait for it to find the base station, and then when I tried to call I got a busy signal.
By the time I finally got through the girl who answered said, "You're always so considerate about calling back."
"Yeah," I thought, as I ground my teeth to restrain my aggravation, "that's me. Mr. Considerate."
Shortly after I got off the phone with my mom, the phone rang again. The person on the other end said, "Mary." I said, "Nope." He said, "Hector?"
I thought about saying, "Yeah, it's Hector," then saying, "Nah, I'm just yankin' yer chain; it's me, Mary."

1 comment:

Merlin T Wizard said...

You should totally yank the chain of the next wrong number caller. Hopefully when I'm there.