Thursday, July 31, 2008

Singled Out

Most Singles

This list shows the US cities with the highest percentage of single people.
It's interesting to note that three cities that I either currently live in or near or have previously lived in or near are on the list: Washington D.C., Minneapolis, MN, and Marquette, MI.
I say it's interesting because I've long complained that while there may be places where there are a lot of single women, I haven't lived in them, yet this list suggests that I'm mistaken in this claim.
It's important to note, however, that this is a list of singles in general, so it includes men. Who knows what the specific numbers actually break down to.
(Besides, when I lived in Marquette I was married.)
Further, it seems clear that the numbers for most of the cities listed are skewed by the fact that they all have a substantial population of college students. Marquette, for example, is home to Northern Michigan University (my alma mater), which has a student population of 8,500, which is significant when you note that the total estimated population of Marquette is 20,488.
So, yeah, I'm not sure that this list actually means anything.

No comments: