Sunday, July 06, 2008

Not The Kind Of Change I'm Interested In

My car is desperately overdue for an oil change.
Not having weekdays off has seriously cut into my ability to get things done at a time when no one else is out getting those same things done.
I had to go to Wal-Mart today to pick up some stuff, and remembered that they do oil changes, so I decided to try there.
It would have been a two hour wait.
Every other place I went by had huge lines, so I decided that if it’s waited this long, my car can wait a little longer.
Honestly, at this point I’d really prefer to just forego changing the oil and actually change the car, but I really don’t feel like taking on a car payment again right now, so I guess I’ll just have to put my teeth in and then grit them and put up with it.
There’s nothing wrong with my car – strike that, I’m sure that there’s plenty that’s wrong with my car that will be revealed next month when I get the safety inspection – but…well, I hate it. I’ve always hated it.
Still, not having to make payments on the thing is nice, so I guess I’m stuck with it.
When I went to Wal-Mart I had the sense to write up a list of the things I needed, and for a change I even remembered to take said list out of my pocket and look at it.
Once.
I figured, “It’s a short list; I can remember what’s on it.”
For those of you who wonder, this is a prime example of why I lack confidence: every time I managed to muster some up, I invariably misplace it.
It was indeed a short list, but not quite as short as the list of items I actually bought.
Oh well.
Yesterday Scott came over to watch Left Behind II: Tribulation Force and to give it the MST3K treatment.
It was truly abysmal; much worse than even the first movie.
You would think that, in the context of a movie based on the Left Behind books – dubbed by Fred of Slacktivist as “The Worst Books Ever Written – the words “Bloopers and Outtakes,” appearing in the special features menu, could potentially be the greatest, most cringe-worthy phrase known to man.
Such was not the case. Even the bloopers were terrible.
I’d planned to grill up some brats for dinner, but it seems that’s what Scott had for lunch, so we opted to go to Fridays.
As a lingering after-effect of my dining experience in Kansas, I was in the mood for ribs. Of course, compared to the ribs I had in Kansas, the Friday’s ribs were sadly disappointing. They weren’t bad, they were just sorely lacking compared to what I had in Kansas.
Apart from my adventure in misplaced confidence, I didn’t do a whole lot today.
I talked to my mom, did some more mysterious drawing, and did the laundry.
I also grilled up yesterday’s brats for tonight’s dinner.
And that’s pretty much it.

2 comments:

Merlin T Wizard said...

Put your teeth in and grit them, classic.

LB II certainly didn't disappoint, though. It wouldn't have been nearly as fun giving it the MST3K treatment if it didn't suck as bad as it did.

But yeah, the blooper reel was pretty bad. It was made even moreso by the awful vaudeville soundtrack they tacked on. You could tell that the only one that seemed to be having any fun filming the movie was the actor that played Nicholae. Hmmm, does that mean something?

lbugsh2 said...

Dont feel bad jon. I write lists all the time and then spend forever looking for them. If I can find them and remember to use them its a miracle.

Oh and get your safety inspection done at our place here. They don't screw with you.