Friday, September 29, 2006

I've Made My Bed And Am Ready To Lie In It

I was out and about trying to decide where I was going to go for lunch when my phone rang.
It was the delivery guy saying that they're running ahead of schedule and would it be okay if they delivered my bed in the next 45 minutes or so. I said it was fine and made my way home to wait.
It was actually closer to an hour before they arrived, but that still put them two hours earlier than originally scheduled, so that's okay, and it only took them about 15 minutes to haul out the old bed and put together the new.
Here it is just after assembly:



It's actually pretty close to a foot higher than my old bed, so that's definitely going to take some getting used to.
Having a headboard will also require some adjustment, I think.
The reason I wanted a headboard, by the way, was not to handcuff anyone to it (for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I'm unlikely to find anyone to handcuff to it any time...well, ever), but rather to keep the wall from getting stained by the dye from my sheets and pillowcases as they rub against it, as had happened in my old apartment and was beginning to happen here.
I briefly considered buying a new set of sheets for the new bed, but ultimately decided that clean sheets were sufficient.
Years ago when my niece Jourdan was little and had recently made the transition from crib to bed, my sister bought her this little kid-sized brass bed. After it was put together, Jourdan excitedly got onto it and said, in her cutely tortured toddler English, "Anybody doesn't have a bed like me, huh mom?" by which she meant to say that nobody had a bed like hers; that it must be special.
(Saying "anybody" in place of "nobody" was just one of her many idioms as a kid. Other favorites of mine were "yogrit" for "yogurt" and "I'm sweating/thirsty to heck.")
I'm pretty sure that anybody does have a bed like mine, but even so, I am pleased with it and look forward to testing it out under "field conditions" tonight.
Still too damned expensive for something that doesn't even have a motherboard, though.

No comments: