Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Iconic Moments

There are movie scenes that, sometimes, manage to achieve a kind of iconic status that lives on well past the moment the last credit rolls and the lights come up, scenes that permanently etch themselves into the collective consciousness of a generation.
Take the passionate clinch between Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr in From Here To Eternity, or the dropping of the snow globe in Citizen Kane, or pretty much any scene in Casablanca.
The iconic moment in question for the purposes of this entry, however, is the one that is a little more recent and is no doubt permanently imprinted into the minds of most males of my generation: Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool and taking off her top in Fast Times At Ridgemont High.
Whether you approve or not, you can't really argue the iconic status of this scene (from a movie that has many iconic moments and which features so many future stars).
Jennifer Garner paid homage to it on Alias.
Family Guy has spoofed it.
Even guys who have never seen the movie at least know about the scene.
Honestly, the scene has everything it needs to achieve iconic status: Phoebe Cates moving in slow motion towards the camera in a drippng wet bikini, distinctive and memorable music accompanying it, the slow building of your anticipation right before that ultimate moment, and, finally, at the end of it all, Judge Reinhold getting caught spanking it in the bathroom.
So as I said, iconic.
In any case, this has all been preamble for the unveiling of my lovingly-crafted tribute to this iconic scene in which we see the penultimate moment just before the payoff (and well before Judge Reinhold getting caught with his pants down):



In a world that's more fair and just I would have had some HD captures to work from and this would have possibly turned out marginally better, but this is not a particularly fair and just world, and so I did the best I could with what I had. Overall, I think I did pretty well.
I also think that Kevin Kline is an extremely lucky man.
For those of you interested in such things, I paid at least some amount of attention to time while working on this, so I'd say it took me roughly 5 hours from start to finish.
So obviously I didn't do much else besides work on this today (which means that I didn't do the load of laundry that I meant to do, but at least it's going now), but I did venture out into the world briefly to do some shopping.
Afterwards I ended up driving around Leesburg trying to figure out where I wanted to go for lunch, ultimately settling on this little cafe where I've had lunch with Kathleen a couple of times.
For some reason I thought it was earlier in the day than what it was and was, therefore, surprised at how crowded the place was.
There was a large group of people sitting together and eventually I noticed that their shirts said "Fire and Rescue," which made me think of Brian and I thought that I should give him a holler to see if he wanted to join me, particularly since the place is just right down the street from his house, but I was thinking that it was just sometime after 10 and therefore too early for him to want to go anywhere for lunch. By the time I realized that it was, in fact, after noon, my food had already been brought to me.
Sorry Brian.
I was thinking that it was just after 10 because that's when I usually venture out into the world and was thinking that today was no exception, though obviously it was.
Oh well.
In any case, my weekend is drawing to a close so I suppose I should wrap this up.

No comments: