Monday, July 31, 2006

Face Front, True Believers!

Marvel Comics Editor-In-Chief Joe Quesada recently appeared on The Colbert Report to talk about the Civil War storyline that's currently going on.
You can find parts 1 and 2 of the interview here.
My feelings about Civil War (and Quesada for that matter) are mixed. I think it's a good concept and so far it's an interesting story (and the art, which is very good, is done by the cousin of a guy that Scott and I know), but I have a problem with the starting point for the story, or at least the execution of it.
I think that it was a good way to start things off, but I just wish they had done it with different characters. The characters they chose to use to kick things off, I feel, weren't treated with the respect that they were due, and were totally mishandled. I think that, for the purposes of the story, it would have worked better to just create entirely new characters, though I can see how using established characters adds resonance to the story. If they absolutely had to go the established character route, I still say they could have handled things with a little more respect and still achieved the same end result.
As for the interview itself, I don't think Quesada was the right person to have on the show, but that's mostly because I would have loved to see Stephen squaring off against Stan "The Man" Lee himself.
'nuff said.

No comments: