Sunday, August 26, 2012

What Weekend?

I can’t really figure out how my weekends can manage to go by so quickly without me being able to point to anything that I actually accomplished in that time.
Seriously, what the hell have I been doing since I got home on Friday?
It seems as though I wake up on Saturday, go out and do my usual Saturday stuff, then the next thing I know it’s 3 AM Sunday and my body is insisting that I go to bed, as though it’s actually been doing anything that would warrant being tired.
Then I get up and suddenly it’s after 7 PM.
I honestly don’t get it.  It’s not like I was sitting around watching TV all weekend, and I really didn’t sleep all that much, so what the hell have I been doing?

Okay, to be fair, I did try to accomplish something, and that ate up a fair amount of time.  Ultimately it proved more frustrating than productive, so I decided to back away from it for a little while.
That was four hours ago, somehow.
I have no idea what I’ve been doing in that time.
For the curious among you, the “something” I referred to was making my umpteenth attempt at redesigning the Heroic Portraits site so that it doesn’t look like something that someone’s grandmother threw together on GeoCities as part of some continuing education program held at a rec center in the late 90s.
It didn’t go so well.
At a minimum, I’d like to set up some simple interface to allow me to upload new Portraits to the Gallery on the rare occasions when I actually create new ones, rather than having to essentially recreate and re-upload the Gallery every time.
But whatever.
In any case, the thing that I laughingly refer to as a weekend is pretty much over at this point, and so it’s time to start preparing for the standard week of working out, dealing with way more traffic than I should have to at that hour of the day, working for far too long, dealing with more traffic, sleeping, and starting the cycle all over again.
Of course, this will be the first week in a post-boss world, so I’m sure there will be some random irregularities in the cycle, but probably nothing that will actually make it interesting.
It strikes me as odd that weekends can go by so quickly while I sit around apparently doing nothing, and yet weekdays, in which I’m constantly doing something, can drag so much.
I realize this is hardly some new profound and insightful observation about life in the modern world or the mysteries that time holds for those creatures who are, so far as we know, the only ones fully-capable of perceiving its passage, but…well, I had to accomplish something this weekend.

No comments: