Saturday, March 07, 2009

Some Quick Shots

Watchmen author Alan Moore has no involvement with movies based on his stories, takes no money (he stipulates that his share should go to the artists) from them, and requests that his name not appear anywhere in the film. This article, which also does a decent job of explaining what really makes Watchmen unfilmable with more brevity and coherence than I could, provides some more information on this, as well as an essential Moore reading list.
Given that Moore's name isn't listed in the credits, the movie version of V for Vendetta stated "Based on the graphic novel by David Lloyd." David Lloyd was the artist on V.
Watchmen, however, went a slightly different route, stating that it was "Based on the graphic novel co-created and illustrated by Dave Gibbons."

***

On the ride back from the theater to Scott's house, I was the odd man out in that I was the only person of the four of us in the van who isn't a father. There was a discussion about their relative strictness as parents. I said, "I'm so strict that I won't even let my children exist."

***

Seriously, Carla Gugino would be the best birthday present ever.

***

Some lady brought her baby to the movie last night. To a movie that featued people exploding and having their bloody remains drip down on people from the ceiling, a pregnant woman getting shot in cold blood, and a giant blue wang, among many other disturbing images.
Also, there was some douchebag sitting in front of us who kept shouting out "Marco" to some friend of his somewhere else in the theater, who would respond with "Polo." He also angrily told a woman - I'm assuming he knew her - "SHUT UP!" when she got excited about the preview for the next Harry Potter movie. Fortunately he mostly shut the hell up during the actual movie.

***

Being out last night meant that four and half hours' worth of recorded shows piled up on my DVR while I was away. One of those shows was supposed to be the latest episode of Batman: The Brave and The Bold, but turned out to actually be some other random Cartoon Network show I've never heard of. WTF, Cartoon Network?

***

I'll probably write up a proper post tomorrow, including some of this week's various rants. So there's that to look forward to, or dread, as the case may be.

No comments: