Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Facepalms Just Keep Coming

I checked that goddamn digital tuner Product Key at least 10 times, having to disconnect everything from Hugin and haul it out from under the desk each time.
*Sigh*
The "Z" was, in reality, a "2," and this time the "B" was actually an "8."
To steal a line from Slacktivist:
Mah. Thur. Fah. Curse.
Originally I'd tried peeling the sticker with the key loose so that I could get a better look at it, but when I did so, it started to rip, so I stopped. Apparently after being slightly loose for a few days it dried up the adhesive sufficiently so that when I tried to take an 11th look at it I was able to pull it entirely free without destroying it.
I am grateful to - and humbled by - the posters in the forums at The Green Button who encouraged me to take yet another look.
This morning I had an entirely different kind of facepalm when I got an e-mail offer from Dell that showed that for about $100 more than the combined total of the purchase prices of the new Munin, the RAM, the Vista upgrade, and the external drive, I could have bought a new system with 64 Bit Vista pre-installed, a quad core Intel Core i7 processor, and 12 GB of RAM.
That system could have become the new Hugin, the current Hugin could have become the new Munin, and I could have avoided this entire facepalm-inducing upgrade nightmare.
Thanks for being so timely, Dell.
And thank you, Universe.
Wait, did I say "thank you" to The Universe? I meant fu-
Well, you know what I meant.

1 comment:

Merlin T Wizard said...

Nah, that's not The Universe screwing with you. That's just a variant on the axiom that whenever you make a sizable purchase, it or its equivalent will go on sale the next day.

Also, my sympathies on the cert key. I hate those things.