Monday, March 02, 2009

Ch-ch-changes Or Can't Someone Else Do It?

You may have noticed that I've made a few changes to the blog.
(Don't worry; I won't hold it against you if you didn't. Well, I will, but I'll do so quietly and won't actually say anything about it. I'll just be silently resentful, and the resentment will fester, and eventually, like a pus-filled boil, the resentment will burst. At some inappropriate moment I'll scream, "Why didn't you notice the changes to my blog?" Then I'll probably cry, and if you reach out to comfort me - which, you probably won't, you callous, unfeeling monsters - I'll slap your hands away, and then I'll apologize and awkwardly leave the room, and the next time you see me I'll act like it never happened.)
The reason for the change is that I recently discovered that while if I go to the Blogger Dashboard page for editing the layout I'm unable to actually do any editing, if I click on the "Customize" link on the blog itself (when signed in), it will take me to that same page and I can actually make edits.
So I decided to finally replace most of the Links with the Blog Roll gadget, adding in some new blogs to the mix, such as Pharyngula and Olivia Munn's blog.
I also put in a link to my Facebook profile for those of you interested in that sort of thing.
I'd been using my Threshold profile picture as my Facebook profile picture, but as I just acquired a webcam - it wasn't my idea - I decided to use it to take some pictures of myself.
I tend not to have very many pictures of myself, given that I don't really engage in many activities in which it's likely that my picture will be taken. Or, more to the point, I don't engage in many activities, period.
In any case, I may actually change my profile picture here as well. We'll see, I guess.
Speaking of changes, I've decided that I should probably change some of the information I posted about myself on OKCupid. I don't think it'll make any difference - the site is still failing to deliver any matches that are even halfway-decent - but change is in the air, so what the hell.
However, my laziness, as it always does, comes into play, so I don't really feel like going through the effort.
Coupled with that is the fact that in assessing myself I tend to be fairly honest and blunt, and my unrestrained opinions about myself can come off as signs of low self-esteem.
What I call honesty other people might call self-loathing.
And while having low self-esteem would make me feel special, I don't want to put that vibe out there. And I don't hate myself. After all, I'm all I've got; if I hated myself I might actually be as miserable as people seem to think I am.
So the point is, the "My self-summary" and "You should message me if" sections of my profile may need rewrites, but I'm too lazy to do it, and am apparently too ill-equipped to write anything positive about myself.
Which leads to the question, "Can't someone else do it?"
Well? Can't someone? How about you?
So how about it, loyal Threshold readers? Are you up to the challenge of rewriting my self-summary and You should message me if sections to present a vision of Jon that will get the motors of the ladies of OKCupid running? Can you provide an honest, yet positive insight into who Jon is and why women should be interested? Are you ready to win fabulous prizes for doing so?*
Then get to it!
Here's what I have in place currently:

My self-summary:
I'm a geek who's into comics, science fiction and fantasy, and cartoons.
I like to draw, write (infrequently, apart from blogging), read, and, really not much else.
Even though I am clearly a geek I'm not really into most geek-related things. I'm not a gamer, don't care for anime/manga, not big on Tolkien, and I've never been to any kind of convention.
I don't drink. I'm not into sports. Dancing is right out; I'm no good at it and I don't enjoy it - not sure of the causal relationship there - though I can't actually say "I can't dance to save my life," because there was one time when I actually DID dance to save my life.
I do like going to movies engaging and low-impact activities like walking.
I have a degree (Bachelor's) in English. I work for a major cable company. It's not exciting, but it pays the mortgage.
I can't say that to know me is to love me, but in order to love me, you have to know me. That seems like an obvious statement, but I don't make great first impressions, as I tend to come off as spastic and uncomfortable, and probably more than a little creepy. Once I relax a little and you get to know me, I'll still seem spastic and uncomforable, and more than a little creepy, but there's a chance you'll find it charming and endearing.

You should message me if:
You like to laugh, talk about any random thing (especially nerdy things), you know and love the works of Roger Zelazny, like to just hang out and watch movies, and are looking for someone who's not like most other guys, and who believes in being honest and isn't into a lot of drama and stupid games.
I don't self-identify as a "nice guy," but most of my friends would say that I am, I think.
If you're looking for excitement, a pet-lover, or someone who wants kids, and you're not up for a challenge - I'm just kind of contrary by nature, even when I don't mean to be - then you probably shouldn't (and likely won't) bother.

So there you have it. Can you do any better? Huh? Can you? Oh, what, you can, but you don't feel like you have to prove it? Chicken! Bwock bwock bwock bwock - umm...sorry about that.
Anyway, give it your best shot. Leave your masterpiece in the Comments, or feel free to to e-mail it to me. Alternatively you can try broadcasting your thoughts to me telepathically, but I tend to screen all of my telepathic communications, and your thoughts will probably end up in my thoughtmail and there's a chance they'll just get deleted.

*There will be no prizes, fabulous or otherwise, awarded.

5 comments:

Merlin T Wizard said...

I'd totally do it, except I am almost positive it would end up worse with my hand in the mix. Besides the fact that I totally scored and married up with Stacy, one of the reasons I popped the question so quickly is that I'm afraid if left to my own devices on the market, I'd die there.

So I'm delegating this to Stacy.

lbugsh2 said...

I am single, handsome, and quiet. I own my own home and car. I pay my bills and keep to myself.

I am fiercely loyal friend, I always remember birthdays. I have been in a relationship before that did not work out. I do not drink.

I do not mind kids but I am not looking to have any by my own seed. I draw amazingly. I can cook and clean well. I like movies, and call myself a comic book nerd. I believe in being honest, and skipping the silly games. With me you get what you get. It seems like a little but my friend Stacy says it is a lot more than just that.


Okay Jon that is how I see you.

Jon Maki said...

*Blushes* Very nice.

Merlin T Wizard said...

That is very nice, and true. I second what Stacy says. You could totally put that down as your "about me" blurb.

lbugsh2 said...

I think you should since it is all true. Jon you should give yourself some more credit you are a good guy and totally a catch.