Thursday, January 01, 2009

What Year Is It Again?

So far 2009 doesn’t seem to be much different from 2008, though that’s not really surprising, and, to be fair, it is still pretty early to make any judgments.
I’ve never really been one to make resolutions, because, really, what for?
I mean, if I’m going to do something, I’ll probably just do it, or, more likely not do it. Or vice versa. Or something.
Anyway, who am I supposed to be making the resolution to, myself? And if I fail to live up to the terms of the resolution, what will the consequences be? If I’m making the resolution to myself, what am I going to do about it?
It would be like:

Myself: Jon, you’re breaking your resolution!
Me: So?
Myself: Good point.

So yeah, no resolutions for me.
I haven’t done much so far this year. I called my mom, watched some TV, took a short nap, watched some more TV, did some more hard drive hygiene and picture organizing, and washed the blanket that my sister Kristy sent me for Christmas.
I washed it because the thing was just crazy with static electricity. It was as though that was what it was actually made of, and if I had checked the label it would have said “100% Static Electricity.”
So I washed it in hopes of making it less shocking and clingy, which seemed to actually do the trick.
I’ve been seeing a minor spike in traffic since yesterday, as a link to my Scarlett Johansson picture post got put up on When Fangirls Attack! I haven’t had that happen in a while.
Note to all the Fangirl readers who have come here: sorry the post/blog isn’t more interesting. Still, I hope you enjoyed your 0-5 second visits.
I didn’t get much sleep last night, as I didn’t get home from Manassas until after 2 AM, and I’d had way too much caffeine. I drifted in and out of consciousness between 4 and 6 AM, then woke up a little after 10 and decided to get up. I’m kind of surprised that the nap I took ended up being so short.
I think last night marked the first time I left the house to do anything on New Year’s Eve since the end of 1999.
Even when I was drinking New Year’s wasn’t really that big of an event for me. I mean, I went out and got drunk, but how was that any different from a standard, run-of-the-mill Tuesday (or Wednesday, or Thursday, or…you get the idea)?
I never bothered with looking for an excuse to drink.
Anyway, despite the fact that I won’t be making any resolutions, there are some things that I’m hoping to accomplish in 2009, though they depend more on how big my tax refund, bonus, and raise turn out to be than on any sort of resolve on my part.
Among the tentative plans: finally doing something about my hideously pink master bathroom, buying a new car, some other projects around the house such as doing something about my increasingly intolerable laundry set up, and actually buying a Wacom Cintiq.
I guess we’ll have to see what the future holds in that regard.

Some Further Thoughts Department:
I had a few more thoughts on the whole “set up” thing that I mentioned in yesterday’s post.
I think that, from now on, whenever I’m told that I’m not being set up with someone, my standard response will be, “Oh, good. So that means I don’t have to shower, put on deodorant, wear clean clothes, or put my teeth in. Thanks for the head’s up!”
After I wrote the post I began wondering what the other side of the conversation is like. Does the person I’m not getting set up with get a similar advance warning about the lack of a set up?
And if that is the case, I wonder what goes through the person’s head when we actually meet? I’m thinking that the words “Thank” and “God” probably pop up in her head.
In any case, I want to mention again that while I throw around terms like “useless” and “utterly useless” in describing my friends’ performance in the area of setting me up with someone, I’m not really making a value judgment. My purpose in doing so is two-fold: 1. To be a snarky smart-ass and 2. To make it clear that I don’t need to be told that I’m not being set up, as there’s been very little of that sort of thing that’s happened in my life, so I have no reason to expect that it will happen in my future.
I have every confidence that if my friends were to find some woman who was suitable for me they would make every effort to ensure that we hooked up, just as I’m sure that if someone found a unicorn or the Fountain of Youth, or something as equally mythical as a woman who is suitable for me – or, more to the point, who I’m suitable for – it would be all over the news.

3 comments:

lbugsh2 said...

Yes she got a similar warning, and as for what she thought I will have to ask now.

Jon Maki said...

Just because I wonder doesn't mean I actually want to know.

Merlin T Wizard said...

So you didn't see the breaking news alert a few days ago about the verified unicorn sighting?

word verification: irkistro
Sinestro's annoying kid brother

Word verification jackpot today, btw.