Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Daily Grind

I’m a little less tired today, but still not exactly energetic.
As I mentioned, it snowed most of the day yesterday.
Overnight we got sleet and freezing rain.
When I got up this morning I called into the “Inclement Weather Hotline” for work and was greeted by a recording that said that we were opening at the usual time.
I sighed, took a shower, got dressed, and was about to head out to chisel the ice off my car when I decided to call in again just to check. This time the recording said we were opening two hours late.
I sighed again, sat around for about 20 minutes until my hair finished drying, then got undressed and got back into bed for about an hour, during which I had annoying dreams in which I thought I was actually awake.
The drive into work wasn’t too bad, just a few overly-cautious people who made me grind my teeth a little.
It’s warmed up a fair amount and the snow is melting pretty rapidly, but it’s likely going to stick around for a few days.
I was of two minds about taking my usual route home, as the road I take for the last leg is less-than ideal on the best of days, but the Greenway just got even more expensive at the beginning of the year, and I’d already taken it home yesterday. Then I remembered that it was new comics day, and I thought that the route that takes me to the comic shop might be a little more clear, so I opted to take the almost usual route home (the overall route is largely the same, but is a matter of making a turn at the start of the last leg rather than going straight). Along the way I stopped to pick up some Taco Bell and then decided what I wanted more than anything – even new comics – was just to be home, so I ended up jumping on the Greenway at one of the slightly cheaper tollbooths.
And that was pretty much my day.

No comments: