Saturday, November 22, 2008

Excitement, Passion, And Intrigue...Or, You Know, The Usual

Okay, I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted anything, so you’re all probably eager to get your usual fix of excitement, passion, and intrigue that can be found in the typical Threshold post.
By excitement, passion, and intrigue, of course, I mean me complaining about traffic and talking about taking naps.
So fasten your seat belts; you’re in for a wild ride!
On Wednesday, Scott came over for Riff Trax night. We ate at the Fuddruckers in Ashburn. Business there was so slow as to make us wonder if this was yet another place that closed up shop at 5, though things did start to pick up a little as we were leaving.
We watched the Riff of The Matrix Reloaded, and an episode of Buffy (the Emmy-nominated Hush) that Scott had never seen before and which had come up in conversation one day.
Sadly, Mike and the gang have not yet Riffed on The Matrix Revolutions, so we won’t be able to complete the trilogy any time soon.
On Thursday I had an eye appointment after work. I hate having to do anything other than just go home after work – Riff Trax nights excepted, of course – and I especially hate it on Thursdays, because all I want to do is just get home, get the night over with, and have it be Friday.
Given that I had to sit around for almost an hour before actually getting my exam done, I was more annoyed than usual by the interruption.
The upshot of the exam is that my eyes are doing fine, except for the mucus build-up on my eyelids, so I have to scrub my eyelids every day with some solution that I’m sure is nothing more than baby shampoo, go back in three weeks to see how the mucus is doing, and then go back again for my regular check-up in three months.
While I was driving to my appointment I came to the conclusion that a significant number of the people on the road either

Have no particular destination, and are just driving for the sake of driving, idly meandering their way to wherever it is that they finally end up.

or

Have a destination, but aren’t particularly interested in actually getting there any time soon.

The other possible explanation, of course, is that they’re just douchebags who are trying to ruin things for everyone else, which may actually be the likeliest explanation.
Whatever the case, I find myself continually baffled by the people who seem to be deliberately delaying themselves – and by extension, delaying others – by slowing down as they approach green lights, or waiting as long as they possibly can to start moving when the light turns green, or making last-second, disruptive lane changes (“Wait, I’m not turning right, I want to turn left. Well, I’m sure the people behind me won’t mind while I lumber my way over to the left turn lane.”).
So there’s the “complaining about traffic” portion of the excitement, passion, and intrigue.
Up next is my Friday night, which was full of excitement in the form of taking a nap and then watching a bunch of TV.
Today I went out to go to the comic shop, where, in addition to buying comics I went over the list of subscriptions I had to remove anything I don’t want to keep buying and to update my contact information. I only removed one title – a book they had auto-added a while back – as several of the comics I read are getting canceled pretty soon anyway.
After that I made a quick trip to Super Target to get as much grocery shopping done in a short a period as possible, and then stopped to gas up my car, trying to remember the last time I paid less than $2 a gallon for gas.
Once I got home and ate lunch, I resolved to not take a nap today.
My resolve lasted all of 45 minutes.
And that is your excitement, passion, and intrigue-filled Threshold update.

2 comments:

Merlin T Wizard said...

Whew! I need a moment to catch my breath after that whirlwind of excitement, passion, and intrigue!

Word Verification: jartical
Of or pertaining to all things jar-related.

Jon Maki said...

That's why I've never really gotten into James Bond movies - his "adventures" seem positively pedestrian compared to my life.