Monday, March 31, 2008

Sudden Geeky Realization

Yesterday while watching some commercials on TV, I realized something.
Home Depot - voice over work is done by actor Clancy Brown, who, amongst his many other projects, provided the voice of Lex Luthor on Superman: The Animated series, and the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited animated series.
Lowe's - voice over work done by Gene Hackman, who portrayed Lex Luthor in Superman: The Movie, Superman II, and Superman IV.
So it's the battle of the Luthors!
(Does it say something about the nature of Home Depot and Lowe's that each of them chose to have actors who portrayed evil geniuses representing them? I'll leave it up to you to decide.)
For what it's worth, I'm of the opinion that Clancy Brown is the superior Luthor.
And of course, another Luthor, Kevin Spacey, does ads for...Honda? Too bad there isn't another major home improvement chain (I don't think Menard's has much of a footprint outside of the Mid West), as that way we could have a three-way evil genius battle royale.

4 comments:

Merlin T Wizard said...

I'm with you. I'd be much more afeared of Clancy Brown's Lex than Hackman's. I mean, did you see what that dude did with the Flash's powers?

Jon Maki said...

Whenever I'm in Home Depot and I hear his deep voice come over the intercom telling parents to keep a close watch on their children, I keep expecting to hear him add on a sinister, "Or we'll kill them."

Merlin T Wizard said...

Plus, it doesn't hurt to have someone with the villain chops of The Kurgan doing the voice over.

lbugsh2 said...

I have to say Gene Hackman was terrible as Lex Luthor, I really wanted to slap him. Suck it up buddy.