Wednesday, March 05, 2008

At Least Tomorrow Really IS Thursday

All day long I found myself unable to shake the belief that today was Thursday, a belief that started yesterday, when I started thinking that it was Wednesday one day too soon.
I keep a supply of cereal bars in my cabinet at work. Today, after eating the last one in the box, I thought, “I should pick up some more tonight,” then thought, “Wait, I don’t have to, because tomorrow is Friday and it’s the first Friday of the month, so it’s healthy breakfast day.”
(To make matters worse – or better, depending on how you look at it – I was even wrong about being out of cereal bars, as there is actually one left.)
I did at least remember that it’s Wednesday long enough to stop by the comic shop on my way home.
After last week’s phenomenal selection of new comics, this one was only so-so, with the highlight – and a very good highlight – being Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight.
As for the rest there was, of course, Countdown to Final Crisis, and the latest issue of the Countdown-related mini-series Countdown to Adventure.
At least it was a relatively cheap week.
I say relatively, as it was still almost $10 just for the three books, and that’s after my 10% subscription discount was applied.
I’m not so old as to remember when comics were really cheap (like, ten cents a pop cheap), but I have seen an exponential increase in the price over the years.
The cheapest I personally remember comics being is fifty cents. They didn’t stay that cheap for long, making the jump to sixty cents, which is where they stayed for several years before making the jump to seventy five (At which point my mom almost decided to stop buying me comics, ultimately relenting, but telling me “Don’t tell your dad.”). They stayed at seventy five cents for quite a long time, before they finally made the jump to $1, and beyond, with the beyond coming much more rapidly than any price jumps that came before.
Now they typically range from $2.99 to $4.99.
In fairness, they are printed on paper stock that is vastly superior to the newsprint of old, and the colors are much richer and more vibrant.
Still, it’s a long way from the fifty cents of old.
In any case, that will do it for this Thurs- dammit, Wednesday entry.

No comments: