Saturday, September 30, 2006

This Homage Is More Like Fromage

I said yesterday that I'm not especially given to nostalgia about most things.
For the most part that's true, but there are some thing that can still stir up fondly recalled memories.
Regular readers know that one such stirrer of fondly recalled memories is the comic book series The New Teen Titans and that said memories are among the very fondest.
So when I was digging through my storage area today and spotted an old Titans comic, it's hardly surprising that I picked it up and began thumbing through it.
When I spotted the Starfire pin-up by George Perez in the back, I decided that it would be a good piece to use for a color exercise.
(It also made a convenient excuse to not go back to work on the picture I'd started yesterday, which is pissing me off and which I'm reluctant to return to working on.)
Of course, whenever I attempt exercises in which the goal is to try out new techniques I invariably fall back into the same old patterns and use the same old tricks.
I mostly avoided that here, though while the idea was to simply scan in the original, convert it to black and white, clean it up a little, and then just color it, I ended up totally redrawing it, though I did at least make use of the techniques for coloring that I'd intended to try out.
In any case, here is the end result:



It basically looks the way I wanted it to look; as though George Perez pencilled it and I inked and colored it.
By way of comparison, here is the original, which comes from Tales of The New Teen Titans No. 4, September, 1982, unretouched:



The main thing I learned from this exercise was something I already knew: I'm no George Perez.

No comments: