Saturday, August 26, 2006

Water, Water...Nowhere?

When I got home last night I noticed that the other end of the parking lot was wet and that this was due to a fairly rapid stream of water cascading down the concrete steps at the end of my building like a mini Niagara, and I thought, “That can’t be good.”
As it appeared to have been going on for quite some time – and was likely related to the work that’s been going on replacing the sidewalks in front of several of the buildings – I figured that someone else must have noticed it and called someone about it.
As for me, I had no idea who to call.
I went inside, did my usual post-work stuff, and soon was fast asleep with nary a thought about the water in my mind.
I woke up a few hours later to use the bathroom. When I flushed the toilet it made a sound rather like that of a toilet with no water in its tank being flushed.
In fact, it made a sound exactly like that.
I reached over to the sink and tried the faucet. Not even a sputter or so much as a drop of water.
Wonderful.
Operating on the assumption that this would not be resolved before 5 am, I reset my alarm so that I could get up earlier and use one of the showers at work.
For whatever reason I failed to get a very restful night’s sleep from that point on and was wide awake well before my alarm was due to go off. I got up, took my time getting clothes ready, used some of my Brita water to brush my teeth, and then headed off towards work.
I usually rinse my contacts off before putting them in to remove any last traces of the cleaning solution. Rather than use the Brita water, though, I decided I’d just drive in wearing my glasses and put my contacts in at work.
Once I got there, though, I opened the case and saw that it was empty. I had, apparently, neglected to take the contacts out of the cleaner after they were done and put them in the case the night before.
Wonderful.
That I had to wear my glasses all day wasn’t bothersome due to any sort of vanity, but rather due to the fact that the rigid contact lenses I’ve been wearing for almost three years have slightly reshaped my eyes, improving my vision ever so slightly.
It’s not improved enough for me to see without corrective lenses, but it is improved enough that my glasses don’t work quite right and so things are just blurry enough to be irritating if I have to wear them for an extended period of time.
The best part of the story? When I got home, my contacts weren’t in the cleaner either.
In fact, they had simply shifted around in the case while being carried in my gym bag and were stuck to the cap.
So I actually had my contacts all along.
I think that is what you would call a quintessential Jon moment, an anecdote that basically sums up the natural condition of my life.
*Sigh*
Quite a while back the group I work in merged with three other groups to form one big super group, composed of three groups all working on different tasks but falling under the same management.
About a month ago another group was added to the mix.
On Thursday, my group and the new group were merged into one new group. The people from that group will learn to do what we do, and Scott and I will learn to do what they do, and what we do will be combined.
We’re hopeful that the fact that we now have additional responsibilities will mean that when the axe falls in the next couple of months our heads won’t be on the chopping block.
That’s the upside.
The downside is that now I have to get to know new people and we have to move into the same cramped, dark little room that Brian works in.
There will be 8 of us in that room and there are 11 workstations, so it shouldn’t be too cramped, but honestly, for me, anyone who’s within two yards of me is violating my personal space, so I’m going to feel penned in.
But if it means forestalling the inevitable need to find new employment for a while longer I guess I’ll learn to adapt.

Doing Justice To My Memories (I Hope) Department:
The other day, you may recall, I launched into an extended and rather vitriolic attack on a certain shitty cartoon that has the initials “TT” and rhymes with “Ween Witans.”
One thing I didn’t mention about the manner in which said show desecrated my memories was the fact that they did their own shitty, utterly worthless version of one of the best Titans storylines of all time, and just generally one of the best comic storylines, period, a storyline entitled The Judas Contract.
I didn’t watch this travesty because I’m not that much of a masochist, and I didn’t need to watch it to know that it would be bad. Even if they were the absolute finest episodes of the show, if they had any of the elements of the animated series featured in them, which they would have, it would have been terrible. The absolute best episode of that show is still going to be a steaming pile.
In any case, hile at work the other day I was reading the Wikipedia entry on Marv Wolfman, the writer behind the story and I discovered that DC Comics is working with Warner Animation to produce a series of direct-to-DVD animated movies based on several popular storylines of the past and present. The idea is to make them as faithful to the source material as possible, to the extent that the creators involved in the source material will have significant control over the adaptation, and even going so far as to tailor the animation to match the style of the artists who worked on them.
Among the storylines coming up? The Judas Contract with Wolfman himself at the helm.
(That Bruce Timm is involved is also a good thing.)
I’m trying not to get too excited about this news because a. it may never actually materialize b. it may not deliver on its promise and c. at my age it’s really sad and really pathetic to get as excited about something like this as I really want to get.
But even so, I must admit that as I read about it my heart skipped a beat, and for a moment I was transported through time, finding myself no longer a bitter, anti-social 34 year, but instead a slightly less bitter, anti-social 12 year old who at least had things like the next chapter of The Judas Contract to look forward to.
If you have any interest in reading about it, which, unless you’re Scott, who already read it, you probably don’t, the inteview with Wolfman can be found here.
The other two storylines mentioned as being up for adaptation - especially The New Frontier - are also very good.

No comments: